ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Window rubber

I'm changing the window rubber on 471. The existing rubber is perished and has shrunk so that water leaks in in several places. The old rubber also rubs off onto clothing which irritates the passengers (and could cause an MOT failure).

I'm also replacing badly scored glass and cleaning out the window winders at the same time.

I really hate fitting the new rubber. I find it very difficult to get the rubber neatly under the flange on the interior of the window pans.

I make sure the window pan is completely clear of the old rubber.

I'm spraying the rubber and pans with diluted washing up liquid and this helps. Using a blunt screwdriver I force the rubber under the lip 5mm at a time.

If anyone has any other advice on making this tedious job easier with a neater result I'd be very grateful.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 7

Re: Window rubber

I believe there is a "special tool" for the job. A plastic thing which made the job slightly easier. I was given one, I think, free with glass or rubber, if my memory serves me correctly. Of course, I don't have it now...
Sorry, not much help.....

My bus number (if any): 1842

Just put 10 new windows in a Metrobus and with laced glazing.

Buy a tin of tyre fitting grease, its like white soft lard, works wonders. It just wipes away afterwards.

Put it on the rubber's bottom edge and around window pan. Make sure glass is well seated, before offering up to window pan. Another thing you could try is leaving the rubber in the sun or warm it up. much more flexible.

In the absence of the proper glazing spoons, a rounded screwdriver is a good as, (the plastic thing not man enough) if you can put a bend in the end of about 30 degrees it will be as the glazing spoon, what you don't want is any sharp edges to cut the rubber. There was also a little wheel for running around the inside to seat the edge, but never found that much use.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Do it in hot weather if you can as it makes a massive difference to the plyablity of the rubber.

Tyre fitters grease as suggested is also very good.

You can also use hot water and place the rubber in it before use a quick wipe and again it will be a lot easier to handle.

A blunt 1" chisel used very carefully and warm rubber , blunt screwdriver round the corners and a lot of patience !

My bus number (if any): RML2391

It's a tedious job and there's no quick easy answer! Make sure you cut the rubber longer than the glass or you'll end up with a gap when the rubber shrinks in a year's time!

If you cut RM rubber longer than it should be, it will not fit in the frame. It shouldn't shrink as unlike lacing in other types of glazing, there is no stretching during the fitting.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I waited for a hot day and the project is on hold at the moment because of a return of global cooling.

The 1 inch blunt chisel seems the best thing so far for edging the rubber under the lip.

I got some tyre grease (actually called tyre soap or tyre lube) from my tyre supplier. It is very helpful and much better than soapy water.

It is true that it is harder if you cut the rubber too long, very tempting as a gap is disappointing and embarrassing!

PSV glass still seem to have RM glass and deliver quickly.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS 7

What I weas getting at Brian was that it is tempting to put the rubber round the glass and assume that is the length required, thereby allowing a gap at the top when the glass is fitted.