ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Body Work Question

So today i was at the Cub Scout group where i help and we were doing a activity about transport and talking about buses in a small group, i got asked by a young boy the question....

How many square foot of body work does a routemaster have?
(my fellow leader brought up i owned one and of course they all said lets see)

I've not a clue???

So is anyone able to tell me as a back of the envelop calucation, for both a RM and a RML as i told him i'd find out and tell him at our meeting next week?

I persumme this fact would come in hand when repainting busses?

I look foward to your help

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Re: Body Work Question

Simple maths by approximation. Effectively it's a box

Sides: Length 30ft Height 14ft 30 x 14 = 420

front/ rear: Width 8ft Height 14ft 8 x 14 = 112

Roof ; length 30ft width 8ft 30 x 8 = 240

If you were looking at the body surface area then 420 x 2 and 112 x 2 then add the 240 for the roof.

For it's entire area add the roof area again for the underside.

If you then measure the glass areas and do the same and likewise with the platform entrance then subtract the total from the box total you are more or less there.

The cubs have caught you out. Our scout leaders taught us all stuff like that better than school masters did!

Re: Body Work Question

hi jack,

yeah i could of done that, i ment a bit more accurate, as in without windows included gap between body work and floor etc in the square foot :P

i might have to sit down with the specs and deduct the windows, or it will grate on me!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)