ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Friends of the Heritage routes?

Had an email from an old pal whose a regular on the "other channel".

There's a suggestion of forming a 'friends of the Heritage fleet' in London.

There is a feeling that the buses are getting a bit tired and in need of a bit of extra care which is too much for the operators to lavish on them.

I think several ideas are being suggested and it has been indicated to me that it's open to all and not some sort of closed off clique.

Similar it seems, to the old days of the garage showbus where staff and friends provided the elbow grease to keep the showbus in super condition.

I think there's a good idea lurking there as it may well help extend the heritage routes for a longer term which even from afar are now a very well established part of the London Tour for many visitors.

So I've done my bit as courier. Suggestions and opinions I suppose!

Re: Friends of the Heritage routes?

Good plan for those on the spot, it needs doing...

I jumped on one with foreign visitors couple of weeks ago and was, quite frankly, disappointed to the extent that I'd give them up if I was the operator.
Being from up north, I can probably remember every time I've been a passenger on an rm, its been so few.
Previously, great excitement and novelty not to be driving, cheery conductor outweighing the odd engine/transmission noise . This time, we where virtuallky the only passengers, which was great in that I could roam about inspecting the legs and feet on seat frames. Perhaps my expectations were too much but I won't be insisting next time in London. The conductor was probably the least sociable person I've ever met. Surely there are still people who would actually like that job...?

My bus number (if any): 1842

I am for joining that too they do look pants and the staff don't care but I can't get a job on the routes

My bus number (if any): Wlt 826

None of you say whether you travelled on the 9 or 15. I think the RM's from Westbourne Park look half decent, a few mistakes with the positioning of the fleetnames, but that was down to the people who re painted them. The fact is that these are work a day motors, 364 days a year, ok, Cummins B engines and Allison 'boxes are not original, but they do the job, and I know the inside staff at X do their work diligently. Incidentally, as of yesterday First in London no longer exist, and X is now part of Transit Systems of Australia, Trading as Tower Transit Operations, I wish them every success, Dave.

My bus number (if any): with RT 1702

Whilst l appreciates the sentiment of this post, l fail to see how this would work in practice - as the vehicles are owned and operated by a third party,as are the routes themselves.Just a thought.....

buffsdad
Whilst l appreciates the sentiment of this post, l fail to see how this would work in practice - as the vehicles are owned and operated by a third party,as are the routes themselves.Just a thought.....

are they not owned by TFL, leased to operators on repairing leases, and the routes operated under contract to TFL, who will move the vehicles with the contract should the contract be awarded to another operator.

I think the vehicles need at least a "refresh" if not a refurb, it should be TFL getting that done, properly, possibly by stipulation of a new contract to the operator. Stagecoach would be perfectly capable of improving the vehicles, as would first/tower or having a thrid party do it. as always its a case of ££££

My bus number (if any): RML2366, RMA58 & RML2683

TFL own the heritage rms apart from 324 652 and 871 which are owned by stagecoach and rm 1650 which is tower transits

As far as I know TfL own all of them including the silver one and 1280 which has never been used. RML 2735 and RMC 1510 now live at Bracknell as they are retained by First.

My bus number (if any): with RT 1702

They don't cos TFL gave the silver one to first as a gift