ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dodgy trafficator switch?..

After many happy hours cleaning up connections and replacing useless wires, I was hoping to have reliable indicators.
Right hand side 100% perfect. Left side works sometimes.
All cleaned inside and looks fine. On others experience, should I be suspecting switch or elsewhere?
The switch was self cancelling but doesnt any more.....

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: dodgy trafficator switch?..

LT switches were not self cancelling, neither big red one or smaller switch on a pedestal. If it's a self cancelling switch it's a replacement Take off the grip and check the connections are clean.
Most likely reason why indicator doesn't work all the time is the position of it, what are the doughnut rubbers like? If not in good condition, indicator will flops about and not work. They are designed not to work if knocked out of line.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, M 961, M 271 and several RTs

Standing still disease. Just wait until you start using the bus again, then you'll experience the full effect of it!

Too true, Roy, too true...
Discovered that when the flap containing speedo and said switch is slightly raised on its hinge it works fine.
How quirky is that?
There appear to be no loose or trapped wires visible...as if by magic raise flap indicators flash, lower it and they stop.
Now for the intermittent brake light..... MoT Friday, what could possibly go wrong.....?

About a thousand and one things considering how cantankerous the things usually are at the last moment.

Make sure the headlight adjusters are free and recheck all the lights before leaving. A flat accumulator on the morning would be another favourite, as also would be a sudden fuel leak.

Sounds like the indicator switch needs rewiring, there must be an internal break in the wires. This will work fine until the tester operates the switch.

Reminds me of a conversation with Mick Biddle many years ago about dodgy indicator switches:

now it works, now it don't, now it works, now it don't, now it works, now it don't, now it don't, now it don't.....now it works....

With the flap wedged open with a bit of wood, everything worked fine and an mot obtained, hurrah!
.:-)

I'm trying to get away from those kind of "temporary fixes" but needs must....

Did you get a Notifiable Alteration Certificate for that mod?? :)