ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox dropping in & out of 4th gear

Hello,

As the title suggests, a freind of mine in Scotland who owns RM2121 is having trouble with 4th gear. When I went up to look at it in April, upon start up 4th gear would not select until warmed up and would occasionally drop out of gear. I changed the air piston seals and flushed/renewed oil but the problem persists. The bus is semi-auto. Any ideas?

Best wishes,

Adam.

Re: Gearbox dropping in & out of 4th gear

Blocked air pipe to the piston? Dodgy wiring to the EP block is another common fault.

Earth fault to the body?

Hi Adam
We had the same fault on Bulgy (2583) last week.
The Fault was it would drop out of 4th but it turned out to be
the Brass gear stick gate,it was badly worn at the top of the 4th gear slot allowing the gear stick ride up to far.

Now we have fitted another Brass gear stick gate its fine.
I have one if you need it or I could repair yours.
Give me a call if you are stuck I will be in London today and tomorrow.
Martin

Adam Conner
Hello,

As the title suggests, a freind of mine in Scotland who owns RM2121 is having trouble with 4th gear. When I went up to look at it in April, upon start up 4th gear would not select until warmed up and would occasionally drop out of gear. I changed the air piston seals and flushed/renewed oil but the problem persists. The bus is semi-auto. Any ideas?

Best wishes,

Adam.

Hopefully Martin's solved the problem for you Adam, BTW, has Brian managed to get the problem with RM2121's interior lights resolved?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland