ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progress report on RM967's restoration

All being well, RM967 will be fitted with her Scania diesel engine next month as the first part of her on-going restoration. She is needing very little done to her cosmetically as despite being exposed to the elements for four years, her body is in good condition and only the paint job has suffered. It is mainly electrical and mechanical work required to get her back on the road which if things go to plan should be sometime this year, a realistic target being toward the end of the year. I have recommended to Tom that he eventually gets the seats re-trimmed back to original Routemaster tartan replacing the current eyes down moquette but as the bus won't be getting used for passenger-carrying work, there's no rush.

One bonus is that the bus still carries it's original WLT 967 registration, I managed to pass on contact information to RM606's owner John Lydiate about the current keeper of his bus's WLT 606 reg, unfortunately she is playing hard ball with John by wanting silly money for it's sale.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

Re: Progress report on RM967's restoration

Hello Graham. Any chance of finding the owner of WLT 471 and persuading them to play soft ball?

Cheers, Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

hi,

this is something that had been bugging me for a while, especially as my mine has lost her original plates too,

How/why did the routemasters become to be registered? just something that doesn't make sense to me?

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Chris Dobbing
Hello Graham. Any chance of finding the owner of WLT 471 and persuading them to play soft ball?

Cheers, Chris

Chris, I think First Glasgow may have WLT471 on retention, phone 0141 423 6600 and ask to speak to Liam McLafferty, Purchasing Manager. It would be good to see another ex-Kelvin Routemaster I drove reunited with it's old WLT reg, so far the only one I believe has been that lucky is Ted Price's RM357, another former Stepps Depot stablemate of 471 & 606.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

Matt Hart
hi,

this is something that had been bugging me for a while, especially as my mine has lost her original plates too,

How/why did the Routemasters become to be registered? just something that doesn't make sense to me?

Because London VLT, WLT, CLT, DYE and in the case of the Northern General examples RCN registrations were worth a few grand Matt.They started re-registering the Kelvin Scottish and Stagecoach Magicbus Routemasters in Glasgow around early 1988, the only ones that escaped this were the three ALM-Bs, 2035,73 & 81 with Magicbus's sole CUV-C, RM2121 also retaining it's registration.

Graham Laurie

Registrations were worth a few grand Matt.

Ahhh! Money - Should of guessed!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

Original registartions for RMs

Thanks Graham,

Sadly, WLT471 is on a Ford Puma 1.7 16v (3 Door Hatchback). Even if I could find the owner I doubt they would want to sell it for less than a total cost of replacing a B frame (not 471) which is my next anticipated major expense!

CHeers, Chris

Re: Original registartions for RMs

Would anyone know where 83 clt is
Many thanks tony

Re: Original registartions for RMs

KIA PETROL 5 DOOR HATCHBACK (SHUMA GSX AUTO)

Re: Original registrations for RMs

When we wanted WLT 928 back for RM 928 I contacted London Central and swapped it for WLT 694, a bus that had been scrapped. So if you offered another RM plate in exchange it might do the trick; but you must be prepared to part with some hard-earned to achieve it.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

I've read all the history of referring to certain items of machinery as being feminine, but it's a bus for gawds sake. Ugh, I think I'm going to throw up.