ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 years ago tonight....

I couldn`t let this anniversary pass without a mention.
It doesn`t seem possible but it was thirty years ago tonight that Mortlake Garage closed. June 24th 1983.
On the 9`s, the last round trip into town departed at 0014 and so it was actually into the 25th when RM 1646 set out for Mansion House Station. It`s not the best of photo`s but it does capture the moments before departure with many exuberant staff members and `hangers-on` ready to hold an `on board` party.

Such was the likelihood of ordinary fare paying passengers being subjected to an unpleasant and rowdy bus ride, a hastily arranged `duplicate` RM 1325 went too.

Seen here in Kensington High Street around 1.30am on the way back to Mortlake with me driving and Andy H conducting, Paul Almeroth is stood by the bus too.
All these years on and the three of us are in regular contact because of how Mortlake Garage left its mark on us.

Re: 30 years ago tonight....

A couple of nicely turned out buses there. The party there compares with the last night of RMs on the 220's, which saw the introduction of the hated DMSs.

I managed a ride on the first DMS, I'd just finished working the last train from Upminster to Putney Bridge, walked back from PG depot to Putney Bridge to get what I thought would be the last RM on the 220 home. It turned out to be the first DMS out. Somewhere I've got a rather fuzzy picture of the rows of RMs in Shepherds Bush Garage all showing redundant 220 blinds.

Incidentally, the driver on the first DMS in service in London was a chap called Ernie Page. Crews of these "historic" first and last buses never seem to get a mention.

There were no other revellers at S to commemorate the event. Just me and Ernie!

Re: 30 years ago tonight....

Was it really 30 years ago?? seems like only yesterday. Great pics Neil thanks for posting. I've so many happy memories of Mortlake Garage it really was a great place, with people who really cared. Seem to remember its 30 years ago that the last MD ran in London too.

Nice story about the first DMS Roy, a case of "Ernie and he drove the first DMS in the west" ! !

My bus number (if any): KRH 411P