ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AV590 cylinder liners

I've recently found a firm in Walsall (not Warsaw) who are prepared to make and keep a small stock of cylinder liners for the AV590 and A219 (RT/RF) engines but they need detailed drawings or decent samples to work from. Does anyone out there have a cylinder liner that could be used as a pattern?

No idea on prices yet or delivery times, but it's a start for those of you still running AEC engines.

Re: AV590 cylinder liners

I have a full set of 6 AV590 liners part number SU060802ZF manfactured by Hepworth & Grandage (i.e. 'Hepolite').

At the time they were given to me (1990), my contemporaneous notes of telephone calls made to 'Military Vehicle Spares' (01543 417733) / 'Budge' (01777 708100) and 'S.L.P. (0171 7032156) indicated these liners were suitable for 9.6 litre AEC Regal, Regent MkIII vertical engines.

If the OP's request for pattern parts is still valid, I can help as I live about 30mins from Walsall.

Please be assured that this is not a kite-flying exercise; I'm 60 years old & have a genuine affection for quality engineering so I don't want these to go to anyone whose intentions are less than genuine. However, my time is tight as I need to sell these on via eBay in the next couple of months for personal reasons relating to health & finances.

Best regards

Bill

My bus number (if any): Not applicable

Ooops something not quite right here!

For the avoidance of doubt:

My offer of assistance is honest, valid and well-intentioned.

If there is any doubt as to the provenance of these items (or perhaps some essential technical aspect of which other forum members feel I should be made aware), early clarification would be most welcome.

Bill

My bus number (if any): Not applicable

As standard the AV590 is a wet liner engine; the A204, A208, etc vertical and A219 horizontal 9.6 engines use dry liners. The liners cannot fit both types of engine. There are however reputed to have been some very early, possibly pre-production 590 cu in engines which did have dry liners, whether any still exist is a different matter.

Bill, thanks for the kind offer, much appreciated, but please heed the advice and questions posted by roy above, nobody's doubting your honesty.

Very often information given in all good faith is incorrect. If the liners you have are parallel with a "top hat" at one end, then they're for the 9.6 not the 590.

My bus number (if any): RML2532