ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
urgent tyre advice.

How safely and how far to drive with an inner tyre missing?
Relieved it wasn't the prop shaft snapped!

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: urgent tyre advice.

Off the level crossing and no further.

(inserts a row of smiley faces)....

It isn't safe, simples.

Thank you, Roys.
I confess to driving the longest 5 miles ever.
I promise to carry a spare wheel in future.

My bus number (if any): 1842

We have all seen tyre carcasses on the motorway with lorries on the hard shoulder some distance ahead. What we don't see is the enormous amount of damage frequently caused to the vehicle when the tyre disintegrates. Wings, lights, air bags and brake pipes frequently get torn off. A substantial proportion of lorry fires are triggered by a tyre failure too.

A split rim locking ring can, and will, unseat when the tyre deflates and eventually it can potentially launch itself at passing traffic and pedestrians.

Indeed, a tale here: a chap who parks his East Kent Reliance in my shed came back from a short drive the other week with a rattling noise at the back, a flat tyre. Could I pump it up for him.

Yes, but why's it gone flat?

A bit of searching found the split rims had come loose and were between the back wheels.

Luckily there was a spare wheel on site, so the wheel was changed and he was able to go to the weekend rally.

He soon ordered a couple of new tyres, tubes and flaps.

This chap is know to the other roy as well and is fortunate in having us around when things Go Wrong!

I may sound a bit off suggesting that it's hardly worth carrying a spare wheel in a Routemaster. But then I've got an account with a national tyre firm who offer emergency cover. I've only ever had one blow-out in over 40 years of rallying, and that was because we bought a load of brand-new branded tyres that were going cheap. It turns out they were seconds and only fit for 20 mph!

Carrying a spare on a class 6 bus is a no-no anyway, especially when there's nowhere to keep it.

Edited to add you'll also need a jack and a wheel brace, a couple of wooden blocks and the almost mandatory hivis if you're going to change a wheel on the road.