ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The end of RM 1910

Withdrawn as a result of an arson attack at Peckham Garage, RM 1910 is pictured here on Dec 6 1984 at the Bus Sales site at the old AEC works awaiting its final journey.

Re: The end of RM 1910

Pity they didn't decide to turn this into another single deck test bus like Andrew Morgan's RM1368?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

By the end of 1984 with RM withdrawals well under way, little chance of any further mods to test and the Experimental Shop deemed surplus to requirements, a second `cut down `Routemaster to play with was never going to happen. Significant mumblings of discontent were already casting a big question mark over those `experimental` vehicles seen doing nothing day after day at Chiswick Works and RM 1368 only hung on for as long as it did due to the determination of Colin Curtis who sanctioned it going to rallies and events to make it look as if it was being used. The reality was actually very different.

When I was at Chiswick from time to time in the 80s RM 116 was the test bed for new ideas, plus was it DMS 854?. Hardly saw RM 1368 move.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

I love the way the tarpaulin is stamped LTE (BD), building department. Even the light bulbs, cutlery and toilet paper were stamped LT. The stuff still got nicked though and these days it's worth money because of the stamp.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

There used to be a real character at Turnham Green station called Eric who had quite a cutlery collection `borrowed` from the firm he said - and he could prove it. `Just look at the initials they`ve put on it for me LTE - lent to Eric`. People like him made the job so much fun!

Problem was Neil some people didn't know where to to draw the line, taking and then selling on LT property for gain or profit was the line used by most people, crossing it certainly undid a few at the Works and Bus Sales Southall.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs