ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
electric doors

hi,

wondered if anyone could help me out with a question,

Did any of the routemaster have electric doors, i think the BEAs and RMFs did?

is this true?

My bus number (if any): none yet

Re: electric doors

The doors on the RM series variant were electrically operated as original.
The motor was mounted at the top and can be a devil to adjust and sort.

Most problems were caused by a cracked motor mount which was almost impossible to see or locate without complete disassembly.

Dirt and poor maintenance dogged a lot of doors but well set up and kept clean and lubricated they worked well.

so was this on all four models with 4 leaf folding doors?

the RMC, RCL, RMF and RMA

cheers

Yes and they all had 4 leaf doors as originla but there are differences with the glazing.
All operated the same way as originally equipped.

ISTR a few mods made by private operators. The company at Selhurst who used to do the Party Bus RMs fitted 2 leaf doors, electrically operated, and without platform emergency door, they used an emergency hammer by the rear window.