ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Driving preserved Routemasters in Bus Lanes

I was wondering if there would be issues with this if your bus only has a Class V Historic Bus MOT? If there is then would upgrading the bus to a Class VI permit usage of normal Bus Lanes and how much is a Class VI MOT these days? I was discussing this with Tom today when I was over having a look at what will need done to RM967 and Tom made a valid point that if the bus only had a Class V, it may be deemed to be a Private Light Good vehicle and therefore NOT permitted to use Bus Lanes?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

Re: Driving preserved Routemasters in Bus Lanes

It depends on the road signs and the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). Any vehicle with over 8 passenger seats is regarded as a "bus" regardless of use. A 12 seat Land Rover is a "Bus" as is a class V Routemaster.

If the bus lane sign has the word LOCAL on it, then it is for registered local services only. In London the variant usually has "TfL Buses only" or similar wording.

Exact guidance for road signs is found in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) found here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/5/made

Though it sounds like guidance, it is "The Law" on road signs and road markings. If a road sign does not comply in every way with TSRGD, then it is not legally a road sign!

However the congestion charge in London only automatically doesn't apply to buses registered as buses. If you have an bus that is registered "Historic" you need to apply to Tfl for an annual exemption which is charged for. You will need to provide proof of number of seats.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Chris, Roy thanks for that, when I used to have RML2271, I drove it regularly in normal Bus lanes in Glasgow City Centre without any problems, I only avoided the 'Local' ones along the Gallowgate and at Glasgow X.

I thought I would ask just in case there had been any change in legislation.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland