ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
transfer glue removal

Any tips for removing vinyl glue from from external paintwork? I have one particularly stubborn set of lettering that won't respond where others have to hot water, steam or aerosol remover.

My bus number (if any): RM1353/RM875/RM737

Re: transfer glue removal

This won`t be much help if you`re looking at a large area to remove glue marks from but on a small scale many of the alcohol based anti-bacterial hand gels will make inroads into glue patches. There`s another unexpected use for these hand gels too. If demisters suddenly pack up and it`s a case of having to get a rag to clear a windscreen, a bit of the better brands of gel put on a cloth and wiped over the screen is a big help. It won`t stop a screen misting but it will slow down the rate at which the glass mists.

I find this quite good at getting rid of the sticky residue left after the vinyl is peeled off.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/label-remover-25350

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Hi Sam

Try WD40
It works ok and should not damage the paint work.
Good luck
Martin

My bus number (if any): RML2583 RM1357 RML2267 RML2323 RF269

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
Sam

My bus number (if any): RM1353/RM875/RM737

Tar remover (wear gloves) or brake cleaner dissolves the glue with a bit of elbow grease without damaging the paint

My bus number (if any): Rml 2747