ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greatest botch ever?

Just had to share this,

We've all seen it before..... metric bolts glued into imperial threads, rivets where there should be bolts or match-sticks where there should be wood. Sound like botch jobs don't they, no, not compared to what i found today, how about a headlight ring held in place with.....(drum roll)......RAWLPLUGS!!! Yes its true (circled in picture), with size 6 cross-head self tapping screws and extra large washers for that touch of class, its so bad i found it funny - i mean really funny!

Re: Greatest botch ever?

That bus has GOT to make the evening run out. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

This is on an RF?

No problem with match sticks being used on RTs Dave, wooden plugs about 6" x 1/4" round were actually a stock item at Aldenham, use was however occasional more on Saunders and MCCWs, or to use where old screw had been levered out as if wooden insert really rotten or missing it would have been picked up on 2nd bite inspection.

Come across any fuse wire to hold RM set screws in yet?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

How about one of the steering idler arm nuts welded together after it had been cut of?

I think a true bodge is one that seriously compromises safety. Either in the operation of a vehicle or it's structural safety.

I think that the rawplug is more ingenuity. After all, all it is is a secure fastening device, Being plastic it won't corrode or react against steel or alloy or GRP.

Far better than the wrong bolt or screw cross threaded into the insert and jammed requiring drilling out and possible complete damage to unit and wing mounting.

Modern plastic headlight bowls use self tappers into the polyplastic and some also have plastic dowels which screws also tighten into.

So in terms of marks out of ten I would give a 9 to the fitter as it could have been so much worse.

The real bodger is the person who does not ensure the correct screws and bolts are stocked.