ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM's in scrapyards- survival rates? ......

Hi all. I have an interest in collecting pictures of RM's in the scrapyards of Barnsley, LT yards etc (and would welcome any that you may be willing to share......) My question,to those of you in the know, is that whilst many succumbed to be broken up for scrap (or more importantly to yield valuable parts for others) how many are likely to have survived intact in to preservation or service elsewhere? (perhaps l should have asked how long is a piece of string? ?!!)

Re: RM's in scrapyards- survival rates? ......

buffsdad
Hi all. I have an interest in collecting pictures of RM's in the scrapyards of Barnsley, LT yards etc (and would welcome any that you may be willing to share......) My question,to those of you in the know, is that whilst many succumbed to be broken up for scrap (or more importantly to yield valuable parts for others) how many are likely to have survived intact in to preservation or service elsewhere? (perhaps l should have asked how long is a piece of string? ?!!)

Rob Duker has rescued RMs13, 997 & 2112, the late Mike Hurley rescued RM2000 and the remains of RML2354 have also been salvaged from scrapyards.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

BTW, you don't happen to be RM1966 (ALD 966B)'s owner do you? If you are, well done on the restoration job. It used to sit next to my former bus RML2271 at the Busworld Museum in Hillington, Glasgow.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant), bus is owned by Tom Ireland

Hi Graham ,to answer you query re RM1966,it is owned by Rodger Wrights London Bus Company and back in service for private hire's etc,it was done up at LBC's sister company London bus and truck at Northfleet not that long ago.hope this info is useful to you Graham

Regards

Jim

My bus number (if any): none yet!

Jim Gilroy
Hi Graham ,to answer you query re RM1966,it is owned by Rodger Wrights London Bus Company and back in service for private hire's etc,it was done up at LBC's sister company London bus and truck at Northfleet not that long ago.hope this info is useful to you Graham

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I am an enthusiast,not an owner - but l have always found RM owners (especially on here) to be friendly,helpful and informative. If anyone has any photos, l would love to see them. Meanwhile,keep up the good work lads! !

The first time I saw RM1966 was in Park Royal's yard one Saturday morning, looking very shiny, as it had just been made!

Just to add a couple to the list of Routemaster's that jumped over the fence and escaped! RM14 and RML2460 both of which are being slowly restored..

My bus number (if any): RM158

Mark D
Just to add a couple to the list of Routemaster's that jumped over the fence and escaped! RM14 and RML2460 both of which are being slowly restored..

Five others that didn't QUITE make it to the scrapyard but have been heavily cannibalised and are now long-term preservation projects are: RMLs2388 (First London), 2455 (London United), 2477, 2625 & 2742 (Arriva London),

I don't quite know where people are going to get replacement parts for those taken to keep others going apart from breaking other RMs...

In my view the line has to be drawn somewhere, there just aren't enough parts to restore all of these!

Point well made Roy.Parts hunting must make your life a nightmare?! But put another way (parts availability aside)once an RM has been started to be cannibalised when does it reach 'the point of no return' by which it can not possibly be saved. Once again ,how long is a piece of string ?!!....What parts (or are there too many to list)are the 'hen's teeth' of RM restoration /repair ?

The hen's teeth list is endless: accumulators, half shafts, diffs, steering idler arms, radiators, fuel tanks (last 2 can be made to order), AEC engine parts, B frame rubbers, Leyland engine parts. Even 900x20 tyres are hard to come by!! RML emergency windows; decent front drop window mechanism...shall I go on?

About the only parts that are relatively easy are steering ball joints (common on most AECs), brake wheel cylinders, prop shafts, brake linings, body panels, windows, seat moquette, Cummins engine parts.

In my view any bus that is missing the parts in para.1 is a basket case and should be dismantled to help keep others going. why bother keep restoring such buses when there's already hundreds of them still around?

A number of the RMs I work on abroad have been so heavily modified locally that I'm often at a loss to know what certain parts are, what they do, where wiring goes. My customers there think there's still a whole load of readily available parts to be had here and there are still 100s of RMs at work in London!! And that I can magic parts out of nowhere for tomorrow as the bus is on another tour of Europe on Friday!

"My customers there think there's still a whole load of readily available parts to be had here and there are still 100s of RMs at work in London!! And that I can magic parts out of nowhere for tomorrow as the bus is on another tour of Europe on Friday"
You also? I thought I was the only one who had clients who thought the RM shops were on every corner.

RM 2000 will be restored, it's moved on to another location, but the parts are there to do it because the restorers have had the foresight to source the parts needed.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Graham Laurie
buffsdad

Rob Duker has rescued RMs13, 997 & 2112, the late Mike Hurley rescued RM2000 and the remains of RML2354 have also been salvaged from scrapyards.

You can add RM 1125 to that list.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Thanks Brian, more and more popping up all the time? lol

Brian Watkinson

You can add RM 1125 to that list.

Hi Brian, as you can see from this link, RM1125 will only be used as a donor in the long-term rebuild of RML2354 which is a shame as it survived in London service right up until July 2004 and was cannibalised immediately after withdrawal despite having suffered no accident damage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46341292@N05/6304036636/

As you are on, Brian (!) Where can l find photos of yout RT fleet? RTL960 site? Are there many RT's still on farms etc in France? Saw several in the last few years (aaked you about one a while ago!)

On Flickr Alan under RTL 960.

Just a warning, not to you personally, but I and many others take puerile comments on our photos like " wicked" very badly!

I suppose you could add our two RMs 1585 and 1609 (1609 was sold on) as escaping from PVS as both came from there.

Never know Graham, might yet see RM 1125 emerging from bits of the RML! More of 1125 left than the RML.

Its Andy,not Alan.! I perused the site earlier and it was of great interest. Thanks. I am a bit too old to be using words like wicked! !

Apologies, seems I've been calling you Alan for a long time If you used your real name like most of us do on here I would have known (hint)

Brian Watkinson
On Flickr Alan under RTL 960.

Never know Graham, might yet see RM 1125 emerging from bits of the RML! More of 1125 left than the RML.

I think a rebuild of RM1125 WOULD be wiser Brian as like you said, it looks more savable than RML2354.

Has anyone here actually tried to demolish the remains of a cannibalised RM ?

I've demolished at least 3 over the years and they refuse to go without a fight. Gas axe is useless on ali; air and propane slightly lore effective, chain saw was fun! Still takes about 3 days. Pah.

A 3/16" drill and a set of spanners and knowing what to undo is actually faster.