ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FORUM FUTURE

Most Forums these days have advets Chris, some more invasive than others. I know they are annoying but I for one would put up with them to keep this Forum going.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Re: FORUM FUTURE

I use Invision Power Services for my forum in my other hobby (WW2 rifle and machine gun collecting) it costs me $70 a year using my server to host on however they will host for you for not a lot more.

They will port over any data already held in SQL based tables (like Bravenet) and offer very good support 24/7/365.

Also no ads and you can have as many boards as you wish on your domain.

Just an option of which I know there are a few.

Jim

My bus number (if any): RLH62

Re: FORUM FUTURE

Why, is the future of the forum in doubt?

My bus number (if any): RML2505

Forum future

This forum has been operating in its present form since July 2008

Bravenet have increased the annual charge for hosting the forum from $39.95 to $199.00, a 398% increase, which I am not prepared to pay.

I'm looking at the possibility of archiving this forum before it closes on 7th September 2013, and finding an affordable alternative service.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: Forum future

Here’s a thought.
I enjoy this forum just the way it is, it’s a good balance to the other channel. So how about everyone that posts on the forum or even just reads it, chip in something to offset the extra cost.
I for one would be happy to chip in.
What do you reckon?

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM13

Well said Rob. I`d happily go along with that rather than lose it.
I can quite see why making a stand against such a large increase in one go is important and it would be a sensible thing to source quotes from other providers - if it is actually as simple as that. But if it isn`t then maybe it`s time for those who get the most use and enjoyment out of what has been a really interesting and worthwhile means of sharing all manner of Routemaster related things to speak up with their thoughts on how best to go forward from here.

Rob Duker
Here’s a thought.
I enjoy this forum just the way it is, it’s a good balance to the other channel. So how about everyone that posts on the forum or even just reads it, chip in something to offset the extra cost.
I for one would be happy to chip in.
What do you reckon?

Regards

Rob
Good idea in theory Rob, but who are regular contributors and who benefits most from the input? How do you ensure a fair division of the extra cost, which is about £80 at current rates
Jim Pullen has suggested an alternative provider that he uses and a transfer with no loss of data, I suggest that Chris asks Jim to follow it up and then any extra costs can be assessed.

If that doesn't work I'd be happy to chip in to ensure the continuation of the Forum

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Did not the 'other channel' quit Bravenet for a similar hike in costs?
They are on a cheaper set up but it works well.

Neither site are in competition, as Mr Duker says the more or less complement each other, something for everyone.

But I understand it is much cheaper. Network 54 I think it's called. Maybe a regular who uses it can be more informative.

I do think that people do need to vote with their feet and take custom elsewhere when such price hikes take place.

And to think that all this internet stuff was once promised as something that would be free for all. That didn't last too long!!

I agree with Rob and Neil, if it makes life easier we could all chip in for the little that it would cost each individual member. However I do realize this would require organization to set up and manage.

My bus number (if any): RM1807 RML2484

Thanks to all the offers of support, on and off the forum.

Continuing with Bravenet is not an option. "Voting with your feet", as Jack puts it, is the only way to fight back against exploitation.

Network 54 is more expensive.

I am looking at other alternatives for hosting the forum. The biggest problem is archiving the current messages.

Hi Chris

Like Rob, I would be prepared to contribute if you did decide to go down that road. I don't post much but I do certainly use the forums archive when I am looking for answers.

It would be such a shame to loose all the content on here.

David

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

Hi Chris

I am the same as others, I would be willing to contribute to keep this service afloat.

Even if was for 1 more year with this provider, it would at least give you a chance to archive all the material safely and find a suitable replacement service without having to rush and stress about it. Then find another suitable service within in plenty of time for the next years subscriptions.

So if you do decide to go down the route of getting contributions then please drop me a line,as I would support helping out 100% with funding it. It only needs 15 people at a £10 a piece and it is a job done. To keep this service open it is a small price to pay.

It would give you breathing space to sort it out for the long term without the immediate stress of doing it all now.

I hope you don't mind my thoughts.

Cheers Mitch
RMC1462

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

I'd quite happily chip in £10 to help keep the site going for another year.

I'd advise trying my internet provider, robin jobber at Network 79 who hosts my sites for a much lower annual fee. He'd probably advise how to transfer the current posts for a small fee.

I, too, would be more than happy to chip in. Just say the word. Easiest system would be to make a donation to Chris Dobbing who has done all of us a great service by organising the website and keeping it going far.

My bus number (if any): RM 1001

I agree with Jack about voting with ones feet.

Similarly, BT are now forcing anyone with a btinternet email address into either losing their addresses or subscribing to BT Broadband. Then stating that they would no longer be supporting 'old fashioned email' they then inform you that you can retain your address if you pay them £1.60 per month per address.
It's really greedy blackmail and I am seriously considering moving my 3 BT accounts to another provider. More on principal than practicality.

So I think the same is here. These operators which do make a fair profit ( even the community based ones) now think we are so addicted to the internet that they can now reel us in and squeeze us for too much money.

As it is not completely free I'm happy to pay a contribution to the person who sets up and maintains this site so they are not out of pocket, but equally, don't want to cave in and pay those who are trying to control the market in this way.
So if it means moving sites and paying a reasonable rate then I would be happy to chip in a little.

Sorry to be slow off the mark but I'd be happy to chip in a tenner too

My bus number (if any): RML2302

I'm currently talking to my is provider and he asks whether we want the existing posts transferred or archived and start afresh, there's obviously a price difference!

who actually pays for this site at the moment?

Is Network 54 any different to the other host sites? I thought the move to there by the other channel followed forced closure by the previous host and of course all the hosts will eventually increase prices.

I am sure many will offer to contribute to the running costs but only the very dedicated will get round to it. Unfortunately we have seen only too often, co-operatives and voluntary payments struggle to work. Someone will think they have a greater right because they paid twenty pounds while Fred only sent a couple of pounds. Do you tell everyone to stop sending once you have received enough or do you sell "shares." Not an easy one Chris. If it does work I am happy to send my share in. Please let me know how.

There is of course another free to view Routemaster forum. Like this one did, it only needs a few contributors to get things moving. Perhaps some of you association members would like to try it out.

http://www.routemaster.org.uk/forums

My bus number (if any): RML2276, M1001, T806

My ISp, Network 79 says he can host the site for £30 a year, or £35 a year if we want the domain name too. His prices haven't gone up in the 5 years, no 10 years, since I've been using his services.

My ISP is robin@n79.net if you're interested.

David Colin
Is Network 54 any different to the other host sites? I thought the move to there by the other channel followed forced closure by the previous host and of course all the hosts will eventually increase prices.

I am sure many will offer to contribute to the running costs but only the very dedicated will get round to it. Unfortunately we have seen only too often, co-operatives and voluntary payments struggle to work. Someone will think they have a greater right because they paid twenty pounds while Fred only sent a couple of pounds. Do you tell everyone to stop sending once you have received enough or do you sell "shares." Not an easy one Chris. If it does work I am happy to send my share in. Please let me know how.

I think you will find that most of us are just waiting for Chris to tell us what he is doing, then how to pay and the amount. 99% of those who have offered will pay I assure you, but thanks for doubting those who have offered!.

You are most welcome Brian. However I was not really doubting any individual that has publicly offered but questioning the whole idea of a voluntary system.

Many will think that is a good idea but some of them will never get round to it, some say they will donate but will have no intention of ever actually sending money and some will decide they will continue watching for free while others pay. As I said, Chris may say at some point "I have received enough for this years payment, thank you" and others will then have the freebie they expect, some of them with a feeling of satisfaction that they have not had to pay. You said 99% will pay, with an assurance. Not sure how you can give that kind of assurance or such an accurate percentage but the fact you feel some will not simply agrees with what I said.

I do accept some cannot afford to pay and that is fine, the rest of us should help but it is ripe for those that will take advantage, to take advantage.

But then I suspect you knew exactly what I meant all along.

Chris, If you could publish something like a paypal account details perhaps we could see how the donations come in.

David Colin

PS perhaps some of those readers that are sole traders or own small businesses or companies in the bus industry would sponsor the site. A list at the top would acknowledge their contribution. I will be up for that.

My bus number (if any): RML2276

The whole idea David, if you had read from the top, is to get past 7th September deadline by people paying for the extra fee to keep the Forum as it is and ensure no loss of data etc, while the long term future is sorted out.

I didn't know what you meant as you have written twice now that some of the people who had said they would chip in wouldn't pay up, knowing most who have offered, that will not happen.

It won't now, will it :)

My bus number (if any): RML2276, M1001, T806

Forum future - situation resolved - for now

Thanks very much for all the advice and offers of support both on and off the forum. I am also very grateful for your kind comments about the usefulness of the forum. It is the contributors who make the forum a success and thanks to all of you.

Bravenet have agreed to allow me to renew the subscription at the old price of $39.95 for one year only. I've paid this and they have accepted the payment.

This means there will be no change to the forum arrangements until September 2014. That gives plenty of time to investigate alternatives and save the existing data.

Checking through things I discovered that ROOF has actually been running since 28th March 2005.

I would like to continue to keep the forum free of advertising,free to users and open to all. I like the idea of a free Internet, which is what it started out as..

As the problem is solved for the time being I have decided to lock this thread as further discussion on this topic is not really necessary.

Thanks again, Chris