ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overheating flywheels

Usually caused by sitting in traffic with the bus in gear for a long time...leaving the bus idling in gear for a long time...multi-gear lock-up caused by gearbox electrical problems...but this one was different.

A customer abroad complained that the fusible plug had melted and dropped a lot of very hot oil in the road during a city carnival. He changed the fusible plug but the problem was the flywheel overheating.

Next time I saw the bus I noticed the engine idling at rather high speed, about 1000rpm. Efforts were made to make t idle at the right speed, about 350 revs, but to no avail. Apparently the bus had been like it quite a while, they thought that's how it should be!!

So, I changed the fuel pump (rebuilt by J&S Diesels) and that immediately solved the problem! The engine now idles at a nice-sounding 350rpm and the gear changing is a whole lot smoother!

My bus number (if any): RML2532 and others