ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lino for RTs and RFs

If anyone needs lino for the above, I've found a supplier in north Kent/Medway who can still supply original style lino. It's called Marmoleum and is as near as you'll get to the original. The colours may not quite match RT/RF lino, but these days you have to take what you can get!

They also do the marble effect lino but in a vinyl finish as fitted to coaches. I used some of this when I rebuilt RFW14 and it looks the part.

email me for details. They prefer to supply by the roll at about £20 a sq/m, dearer for cut lengths.

My bus number (if any): RML2532 and others

Re: Lino for RTs and RFs

Hi Roy

I agree the Marmoleum is the nearest currently available that 'looks' like LT stuff now. The colour is a little darker but it is ok. I bought the last available in the US for RLH62 as they will not import any more for some reason.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

The Marmoleum I'm getting for MLL738 is lighter than original as the darker one looks too purple! They do a contrasting lighter brown for the kick board which again is lighter than original, but the contrast of the 2 colours between old and new is similar if that makes sense! Maybe the old stuff has gone darker over the year??

It may have darkened due to the linseed oil that makes up the main constituent of Lino yellowing with age and giving a slight hue to it.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

When it got dirty we painted it 1946 brown, so that is an option. Maybe wasn't done on RFWs but extensively over painted on covings and front bulkhead on RTs. I'm sure Peter Osborne has used new lino on his RT 4779, might be worth asking him.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

RFWs were a marble green effect lino, like they now use in hospitals! some bits like wheel arches were painted some horrible green!

Early batches of RTs had marbled green rubber, where lino later fitted, it didn't last well and was painted brown and/or replaced on overhaul. Maybe the RFWs got surplus stock?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

That's interesting, I wonder how many RT owners know that? the marble effect lino in the RFW had a fairly thick rubber backing. the same type of lino was certainly used up to the 1980s on Plaxton coaches. A similar thickness material is still made by a frim in Manchester, but not with the marble effect.