ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat belts for school trips

Does anyone know the law applying to seat belts for school trips in Routemasters? My research has led to conflicting and confusing advice. In my recent experience some schools allow children to go on school trips in Routemasters and some don't. Which is right?

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Re: Seat belts for school trips

Good luck in your quest for a answer for it will be a brave person that categorically states the law on this most complex issue. You`ll probably have any amount of suggestions forthcoming but it will be the policy of the local education authority that rules. Some counties will absolutely not entertain an open platform bus before the question of seat belts even arises.
As a general rule, a hire instigated by the school requires seat belts even for a local trip. Which is at odds with home to school transport that might be provided by the local bus operator using ordinary fleet non-belt fitted vehicles. And I`m sure we all see plenty of these with kids stood up on the top deck or pressed against the front windows. And then there`s the `in-between peak hour` swimming pool trips done in an ordinary `service bus` which has been charted by the school / LEA. Confusing and conflicting sums it up.

There is no legal requirement to fit seat belts to Routemasters for any purpose. In my view to fit them would be folly as they were never designed with fitment in mind and in the unlikely event of an accident, we don't know what may fall apart before the seat belts do.

As stated above, certain local authorities and schools insist that everything that carries kids must have belts fitted. they don't seem too fussy when it comes to the drivers of school minibuses obeying drivers hours regs or indeed having a pcv licence! but that is another pet hate of mine...

So, it depends on the school you're intending to work for! We've turned down loads of enquiries from schools who wanted to hire the RM with belts fitted. The law is quite clear that they do not need to be fitted; only "coaches", large passenger vehicles capable of exceeding 60mph need them.

Hi all,

Here in Cheshire East, all school 'closed door' contracts must be operated with a seat belt fitted vehicle. Stage carriage work not needed. In Stoke on Trent we do many hires for schools who request a Routemaster. The school writes to each parent of those children going on the trip to sign an indemnity for not using a seat belted vehicle.

Clear as mud..

Andy