ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
200 years of the toothbrush

Well, that`s what it`s got on the side of RM 1237!

Not everybody thought that the all-over advert buses of the 1970`s were appropriate. Red was the expected colour of London buses and most of the advert buses were anything but. Some were very cleverly done using bold colours to make for some very distinctive RM`s. When I started on LT at Tottenham Garage in 1973 we had RM 1740 painted in a detailed, multi-coloured scheme on a mainly dark green background advertising Danone yoghurts. These were times before vinyl wraps and the quality of sign writing was very good - some of the designs must have taken a good few days to paint. When I went to Mortlake garage in 1976, the former `Peter Dominic Wines` advert bus RM 1285 (with body B1270) had become, through the overhaul process, RM 1417. Some of the outlines of the Peter Dominic lettering could be clearly seen beneath the red paint and by 1980 on the next overhaul (via intermediate repaint) B1270 became RM 1654 at Mortlake and still the lettering could be seen in certain lights around the staircase and other off side panels.

But by 1980 several years had passed since all-over adverts. And then in a much toned down reprisal came RM 1237. Very much a one-off trying to keep a balance between being a red bus and an exclusive advert. It`s seen here on April 6th 1980 passing St.Martin in the Fields and at Parliament Street.
And just when it seemed that a compromise had been achieved, a couple of RML`s then appeared in a bizarre all-over scheme advertising Y fronts!

Re: 200 years of the toothbrush

Not forgetting the first all-over advert RM for Silexine paints, based at Riverside and used on the 11.

I remember speaking to "Jock" the painter at Riverside; he reckoned whenever it had a bit of accident damage, he'd mix some stock LT paint to match the Silexine paint to patch it up!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: 200 years of the toothbrush

I think the first one done at Aldenham was for Yellow Pages, and that was hand painted

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs