ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AEC AV590 sticking throttle

RM2213 suddenly developed a sticking throttle. accelerator pedal stayed down and had to be lifted up by hooking my toes underneath it. Examination showed this was due to a build up of rust on the spindle that goes through the rear of the block. Quite difficult to sort it out. The linkage needs to be detached from the spindle on the near side and the small half moon shaped Woodruff key needs to be removed. Don't lose it! The spindle can then be pushed right through the block and removed. You will have to detach the pipe that collects air under the drivers seat and takes it the compressor to allow this.

I rubbed down the rusty areas on the spindle and also cleaned the insides of the brass bushes in the block. I then reassembled everything with oil to lubricate where the rust had developed. I'm going to make sure I oil the spindle ends frequently in the future to stop this happening again.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Re: AEC AV590 sticking throttle

The throttle cross shaft under the cab is an equally pleasurable job.

Is there not a grease point on the pedal shaft to the left end of it? It's a while since I looked but I seem to remember rebushing a pedal shaft and removing dried grease fused with rusted water ingress.

If you clean and polish the shaft, use copper grease, it is a bit more resilient to temperatures and water ingress.

No grease point on for the shaft that goes through the back of the block, sadly.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7