ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM Brake shoes

Owing to a cock up on the stores front we are in urgent need of a full set of RM rear brake liners, (ideally already riveted to shoes), we can collect from London area and south east England.

The liners we thought were RM aren't and we have a bus stripped, no shoes to fit and we need to get it done ASAP.

We will return old shoes if required

Please E mail me if you can help.

Thanks in advance

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Re: RM Brake shoes

Panic over, located a set of complete shoes. We were misinformed about the availability of RM shoes, it was suggested they are no longer made and need to be adapted from another type, anyone know any more on this ?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Make sure that the cam rollers are the correct size for each drum!

That could be a problem Roy as drums are in France and we are getting exchange shoes. One adjuster is seized, can't move it at all, although the drum does move a little, the other drum we have got off needs skimming badly, should we go for different rollers? If yes where can we get these? The shoes are coming from the Brake House.

Hell Brian,

I would advise you to speak to the Brake House, they will be able to advise you 'from the top of their head' what the sizes need to be for which drum internal diameter and maybe send you a selection of rollers or alternatively a drum for yours. They certainly keep rollers. Their normal practice is to supply a set of profiled shoes, complete with correct cam roller, matched to a skimmed drum or a new one. This may well be your easiest option since you are at present unsure of the condition of one drum and know that the other needs attention. If fitting cam rollers and also when refitting the shoes note carefully which way round the pivot pin and locking bolt are supposed to go, otherwise they will foul the brake anchor plate.

Thank you very much for that Roy, the decision on rollers has been made for us, as the drum we have managed to get off when skimmed will be 5mm over size, so we need a new drum and so will go for two new ones, given what you say the Brake House with matching which was in fact what LT did.

We will have to defer the replacement a week or so now as we have a campaign the middle of next week, but it will give us time to get it sorted out properly. Thanks again.

Don't mind me putting in tuppence worth.

If changing the brake drum, make sure that the replacement drum is fitted with an anti- squeak band.

I'm sure Roy will back me up on this, the brakes can be noisy if left off.

Thanks.
John

My bus number (if any): none, ex Poplar b/m 1971/2004

I've got a spare pair of slightly used rear drum with matching shoes if anyone needs them.

Brian,

Make sure your adjusters work! they can be stripped and cleaned easily, much the same as RT ones! Make sure you put them back on the correct sides though. When you set the brake up, put the handbrake on one click, yes, the first click, then do the adjusters up tight. That "should" give the correct clearance

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy, we have done loads of RT ones, these RM ones are presenting a real challenge, mind you looking at the state of the drum rears probably haven't been touched since it left Brixton, it's an RML, not our bus, it was in and out of service there before being sold to Ensign, we are doing someone a favour by getting it ready for an MOT.