ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake adjusting square socket

LT used a special square socket and wrench for the square pegs on brake adjusters. Was this socket exclusive to LT as I have been told or can they be bought?
I have done a Google and come up with nothing. Thanks in advance

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Re: Brake adjusting square socket

I can't remember the size, but Snap-on tools do a 3/8" drive socket that fits. I will have a look at it when I can to see. I have three sizes one for RT, one for RM and one for DMS. Also an oxy-acetylene bottle key fits nicely.

Thanks Roy, do you know if the RM and RT ones are the same size, up to now have used ordinary socket for RTs but this RML is giving grief as someone has used a spanner or grips on it and rounded it a bit.

Will have a look at snap-on site.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

The Snap-on socket may well fit a new square end, but once they have been mullah'd by grips, only grips will work!! I usually use an 8mm spanner, or a 7mm spanner if it's a rounded square!

I enquired at my local tool dealer about the correct size square socket, but they were no longer available. I note the RMOOA lists new square brake adjuster spindles at about £45 each. Maybe try rebuilding the end with the aid of a bit of welding is the cheaper option.

I do have some refurbished (stripped and cleaned) adjusters on the shelf if that's any help, exchange dirty units please.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Brian

My tool place will do a 9/32 (7.14mm) 4 point socket for $5.15 (£3.38). Don't know if that will work on worn adjusters as Roy says but look for 4 pt on the net if you want one locally.

Jim

My bus number (if any): RLH62

Thanks Jim, nearly missed this amongst the ramblings of "Vixen ladies network" greatest fan!!

I found 4 point sockets on the US snap-on site but they don't seem to have a on-line facility in the UK or France. I have been told we are going to be loaned an ex LT socket ao thanks also to Roys when I know the size we need , I'll be able to get one.

If you want one once you have the size I'll get my mate to get one from his Snap-On mans truck when he makes a service call and send it over for you

My bus number (if any): RLH62

To Roy the bus

You quoted the non-member's price. They are £30.00 to RMOOA member's.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Andrew Morgan
To Roy the bus

Can't see these in the RMOA site shop, they still available?

Brian Watkinson
Andrew Morgan
To Roy the bus

Can't see these in the RMOA site shop, they still available?

Hi,

Its the 3rd item down.

http://www.routemaster.org.uk/products/index/3

I bought one a little while ago and am wating for it to arrive.

Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Is that it? I thought it was a tool for adjusting the brakes, not the centre of the RP adjuster. Why is called a brake adjuster and key?

We snapped the square key off on one of ours, both adjusters were solid, cams not moving at all, one body turned but in the wrong direction, yet when we got them off both RP adjuster bodies turned albeit not easily in both directions and turned the spline cogs in both directions and spline to cams turned easily. Must have been stuck with old grease. We put a new adjuster on one side but need a new adjuster key for the other one.

Tom,, you took yours apart, can you confirm that is the adjuster centre please?

This ex-Arriva RML has had new shoes at sometime but the drums were not skimmed at the same time and were very badly worn where the shoes wore to the point that a skim would haver taken them well over the limit. We changed both drums and got matched sets of shoes from the Brake House who were very efficient

Hi,

I certainly can...

This should answer your question. The picture shows the stripped adjuster. The adjuster key (or whatever it is called) is numbered 1. There is a slot in the end and the bit which goes through it is 2.

Batch 302 010

Regards,

Tom.

Thanks very much Tom, that is crystal clear, it would seem that as you have only the RP adjuster off it's possible to change the key in situ, can you confirm please and I'll buy a couple of adjuster shafts.

None of us have stripped these before, the curse of "Send it back to Chiswick", in the "good old days of demarcation, fitters always changed these, not bus mechanics

It is probably not possible to change the key in situ. To get part 2 out of part 1 you have to depress the centre spring with a pointed stick like a screwdriver. You then have the fun of getting part 2 out of part 1. I wouldn't try this on the bus!

Make sure you put part 2 back in the right way; the indent goes where the spring is.

It is possible to refit the pivot pin and the three pawls incorrectly so make a note of which way round it goes. IIRC there are very small spacer washers between the pawls as well.

You're right there roy.

I'd also suggest removing the main adjuster "cog" which is in the main body as you will find this caked with stuff that will prevent correct operation. you will, as I mentioned earlier, need to drill out the 3 or 4 countersink rivets which hold the cover on to remove the gear. Simply drill out the top of the countersink then punch the pin through with a thin punch and a hammer.
You will find all sort of grit inside there which needs to be cleaned out.

Thoroughly clean the cog and the inside of the adjuster body and re-assemble.Don't re-use the rivets, but use something like a 4mm or 6mm (can't remember the size) countersink screw with a locknut on the end.

Thanks gents, I can see the issue here, on the RMA picture the key part (2) looks integral to the shaft (1) not a detachable piece.

Thanks again

Hi Brian,

I think Roy's have answered your question. They are not that hard to removed so I would recommend removing it from the bus and stripping it down on a bench.

As Roy has said, all the bits are handed so I did mine one at a time. You might be surprised what you find inside in terms of hardened grease.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, we had to take them both off but due to time pressures and the lack of a replacement N/S rear we had to put back the N/S one with the broken key shaft, we adjusted it up by turning the whole body, but we will want to put it right soon.

In the thread dated the 22nd November 2013 by Tom Curtis the photo depicts a brake slack adjuster in its dismembered form.

Item 1 is known as the Control Rod Pt No AEC Z3-12041
Item 2 is known as the Keeper Key Pt No AEC Z3-AK51