ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM/RT/RF Tachograph solutions

Can anyone advise on the current options for fitting tachographs (pref analogue clock/dial) on ex LT buses, it would be preferable to retain original speedos if possible.

Calibration facilities are not a problem (three in local area), but four hours of research on the web hasn't yielded any useable results on the apparent black art of installation!

Thanks

Re: RM/RT/RF Tachograph solutions

Toothed wheel fitted between the two companion flanges in front of the diff (diff input and rear most prop) and a perception head to read the teeth.
24v power feed suitably fuse protected can be taken from B+ terminal on control board in box between cab seat and door, remember tacho will drain battery down if not going anywhere for a couple of weeks.
Get an anologue cassette type and fit it to the cab roof where it can be seen from seat.

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of and a leap of Leopards

Used digital tachographs are now easier to get hold of than analogue units. In RMs they have the advantage that they keep their time even when the battery is isolated.

I think France is going to introduce changes forbidding the use of analogue tachographs for French registered vehicles, starting in 2016. There are no plans to do this yet in the UK but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS1 7

Thanks Chris & Mark

Digital tacho's do seem to be the norm for RM/L's these days but we can only do what the customers ask us to do!

Used & reconditioned tachographs are plentiful and reasonably priced but its the reluctor ring and pulse generator parts that im struggling to source, and also what combination of these parts should be used.

If the RM has a "new" type gear control panel and is already fitted with the toothed wheel on the diff, you can pick up a feed for the tacho on the gear panel. I suspect you could also pick up the same feed from one that's fitted with the traditional speedo sender unit, also from the gear panel.
you could also fit the "traditional" 1312 tacho sender unit on the side of the gearbox in place of the LT speedo drive.

I've got the wiring for it somewhere, courtesy of Gray's Trucks who used to fit tacho in RMs for London General.

One problem with digital tachos is that if it's for a small operator, he will need the computer terminal to download the info! Not cheap!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy, i do know i will be starting with the standard speedo/generator equipment and i will also need to apply this to RT/RF chassis as well.

Just found out we have "Osborn Transport Services" 5mins away in Leighton Buzzard, they do repair & calibration with fitting on limousines so they may be worth a call.

You'll have to replace the LT generator with a generator/sender to match the tacho head. You usually have to run a 4 core cable from the gearbox to the cab, an additional wire from the battery via a 0.5 amp fuse to run the tacho clock, 24v switched to turn the tacho head on, and a feed from the sidelight switch. you can pick that up from the existing speedo light. Don't forget a negative wire too!

Thanks for that Roy but ive thrown in the towel on this one, i'm handing it over to Marshalls Coaches(Leighton Buzzard), they have done a few RML's in the past few years.

While i'm on this subject has anyone got an RF speedo head and speedo box for sale?

Thanks

Might have a speedo box for sale, don't know about the speedo head though.

roythebus
Might have a speedo box for sale, don't know about the speedo head though.
Ha, found one complete with speedo head. drop me an email for details.