ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dip Switch

Might have urgent need of a floor mounted dip switch. The one on the RML appears not to be working and we need to get the bus through an MOT.

Are these fitted to other vehicles and so available from stock? Anyone know a supplier?

Thanks in advance. Edit Anyone know if the Land Rover MK 2 one fits? Looks very similar to the photo on Rob Duker's site

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Re: Dip Switch

Try Paul Beck Vintage supplies I don't have the web address but if you google it it should come up.The original dip switch was common to lots of other vehicles as it was a common Lucas part fitted to both cars and buses.After the '92 refurbishments a different type was fitted similar to the Landrover,which was mounted to the floor with the wires coming up through the hole in the floor where the original switch was fitted.The original was fitted to a bracket underneath the floor.Both types are still available from vintage suppliers.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Just been on the Vintage Supplies website and their switch no.442 is a match for the original @£15 +VAT

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Thanks Steve
This is a refurbed RML (RML 2608) so it should have the Land Rover type switch then? The one on Rob's page seems to be the later version.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Durite part number 0 658 50 should be able to source from any auto electrical factor or workshop.

Not the easiest thing to fit, may require longer mounting bolts.

edit add:

There is one on ebay at the moment which may be the quickest way to get your hands on one; about £11.

Thanks Roy, not certain we need one yet, but it is the modified one the bus.

I regularly pass the time of day with a Vintage and Classic car restorer who has to source electrical parts like contact breakers sets(points), condensers and wiper motors. According to him many of these are made in China, and are to say the least: 'a little bit suspect in quality'. He has had many unfortunate experiences with them, some expiring less than a mile from his workshop, after the vehicle has just been collected by the customer.

Was Dip Switch - now another foot switch?

Following on from the Dip Switch, there is another foot switch to the left of the dip switch with two wires connected. It doesn't seem to do anything and not an original fitting, but maybe fitted during 1992 refurb? RML 2608 is an ex Brixton Arriva South London bus, anyone have any ideas on the function of this switch?

Re: Was Dip Switch - now another foot switch?

It might be the old radio switch??

My bus number (if any): rm158

That's a possibility Mark, anyone else got one or removed one?

Yep, it's the radio switch.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Gents, I'll pass that on.