ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KYY 883 RT3154

Good Morning Everyone,

We are adding to our collection! We have just bought two more classics for renovation. KYY 883 ex London Transport RT, and JVH 381 ex Huddersfield Regent III. Both are in a pretty sorry state and need complete renovation.

You were all very helpful when we started to rebuild RML 2719, and we would like if possible your assistance in these projects. Firstly does anyone know whether RT3154 was originally used in Red Livery, or was it always used on the green country route?

I will post pictures of both as soon as i can remember how to on this site, any information you can give would be really appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Chris

My bus number (if any): RML2719

Re: KYY 883 RT3154

Check on Ian's Bus Stop website. I won't put the details for the bus up since plagiarism seems to be in vogue. It's Ian's work so the credit is his.

Thanks Roy,

I have tried to get on to his site but it appears to be down, am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Chris

RT 3154 was always a green bus. Nothing special about it, ended up with body 3617, an RT 8 body, new in March 1950 as red RT 1655 so you might find red on it in places.

The chassis 5634 was built much later and new in 1954 to green RT 4732 which was stored at Loughton until 1958 surplus to requirements.
This combination of body and chassis came together at the last overhaul in April 1966.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

RT 3154 spent many years parked on grass under trees at Audley End House in Essex and was used by visiting school groups as a place to eat their packed lunches! I`m guessing but I reckon it had gone from there by about 2003.

Neil G
RT 3154 spent many years parked on grass under trees at Audley End House in Essex and was used by visiting school groups as a place to eat their packed lunches! I`m guessing but I reckon it had gone from there by about 2003.
It went to Halifax after that for preservation.

There is another RT on eBay at Halifax amongst a number of other buses of the period which has just been sold, don't think it's RT 3154 though as substantially red

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Hi Brian,

RT3154 was on ebay from Halifax and we bought it along with the Regent III JVH381 which i understand was in Huddersfield Livery originally. The fact that RT3154 has a lot of red on the body is confusing us. We were told it was always green but the presence of the red would suggest otherwise?

Hi Christophe
Ahh, so same bus as ebay. It must have been painted red after it left Audley End, definitely green then.
Unless it has been completely stripped to bare metal,under that red you will find green paint, as I said earlier, you might find some original red around the bulkhead and engine compartment, but RT 3154 as a stock number, was always a green bus.

Up until its very last overhaul, all its previous bodies had always been green as well and from the same batch of Weymann bodies delivered in May 1950. The current body 3617 was painted green in September 1957 and stayed green through two subsequent overhauls and a repaint.

Christophe? Good one Chris, just tied you back to RML 2719!

You might find the RT a lot different to that RML, we have RT 3157 and that was in a mess when we got it, at least it's been under cover for 10 years or so now, RT 3154 sat outside for a long long time.