ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To Simon Austin (Squirrel Preservation) re: manufacture of front heater switches

Hi Simon

I thought I would post this on the forum so others can give their input. Tom Ireland and I were up in Aberdeen on Sunday collecting a fuel tank for RM967 from Neil Scullion and also so I could give Neil the Park Royal Vehicles plate I acquired for his RM1807. He showed us the almost completed interior of the bus which is looking fantastic after three years of restoration work, unfortunately, one piece of the jigsaw still missing is the front heater switch in the lower saloon which was removed when 1807 was converted into a Playbus. As you are now manufacturing rear decor bulkheads for Routemaster owners DE-furbishing their buses and restoring them to original interior condition, I was wondering if you had given any thought to re-manufacturing the front heater switch panels as well as they are a rare and much sought after item? Until Neil can source one, he is going to put a plate over the front where the heater switch should be.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

To Simon Austin (Squirrel Preservation) re: manufacture of front heater switches

I've been on the lookout for one of these for RM548 for ages, so if any were to be re-manufactured I would certainly be buying one.

I too, have a horrible blanking plate over the cut out.

David

My bus number (if any): RM548 and RM765

No shortage of interested potential customers then David?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

There's a foundry near Hastings who could make them providing someone has a pattern1 They've just cast a set of window handles for RFW14 for me.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

What happened to the standard king pins that were being commissioned from Rye? The pattern one has been returned, but no news on any production.

I doubt two constitutes a major demand for an item, the costs of pattern making and production will be astronomical. The casting is no good without the knob and cable fixings. A lot of RMLs had these removed, there must be some around somewhere.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

hi graham and others
weird how we all think of things i looked into this several months ago and it was no go, i spoke to neil of 1807as well and to let you know today went to a casting place with my spare and will return on friday as i had to take the cog back part off of which i will get a price for that as well.so i hopefully will have a price next week for the front part and see what it is like from the person making one up .if any probs i may need the one in hastings roy but lets see first

My bus number (if any): RCL2238,RT,RF

Thanks Simon & Roy, I think that the more buses that are restored to original interior condition, RMLs in particular, will see as much of a requirement for re-manufactured front heater switches as there currently is for the new Picture Frame panels.

Graham Laurie
Thanks Simon & Roy, I think that the more buses that are restored to original interior condition, RMLs in particular, will see as much of a requirement for re-manufactured front heater switches as there currently is for the new Picture Frame panels.
The what?

Good Luck with that, but don't you think that most of the RMls that were going to be "restored" to original condition will have been done by now?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Brian Watkinson
Graham Laurie
The what?

Good Luck with that, but don't you think that most of the RMls that were going to be "restored" to original condition will have been done by now?

Brian, that sounds like the famous quote of 100 years ago that "Everything that could be invented has been". There will always be keen people and ruined Routemasters wanting restoration. I think Rob Duker proves this point well.

My bus number (if any): RM531

Not the same thing Steve. How many RMLs do you think that have not been retro-fitted to original condition will be now? There are quite a few with cosmetic things like trafficator ears and the inside as was refurbed. I could be wrong, but I don't think Rob has retrofitted the interior of any of the RMLs he has had and only one of his RMs has had any form of modernisation.
The point about there being a very low demand as yet for the heater control switch housing is still valid, anyone else need one??

I have been after a heater control switch since 2005. Its is the last bit I need to put my RML interior back to 'original' condition.

I would certainly have one!

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Well if Tom is another potential customer, then it seems to me there is as much of a market for re-manufactured heater control switches as there is for the picture frame bulkheads, it's not just RMLs, bear in mind that Rob Duker has rescued RMs13, 997 & 2112 from PVS and the late Mike Hurley RM2000, all four of those buses would have been heavily robbed of parts and would need replacements such as the heater control switches.

evening all just to update the heater control is at the casting foundry and as soon as i hear i will update

My bus number (if any): RCL2238,RT,RF

Thanks Simon, I'll phone Neil Scullion to let him know he may get a Heater switch for RM1807 after all.

re: manufacture of front heater switches

just to update progress going well on castings and the rear mechanism part should know more next week

My bus number (if any): RCL2238,RT,RF,RM

I'd be interested in one too Simon!!

My bus number (if any): RML2353, MB 306

just to update i will be picking up casting of heater control this weekend and will let you know,rear mechanism is being worked on

Still watching and still interested.

Regards

My bus number (if any): RML2344

I may be wrong, but the plastic knob appears to be very similar to that used by BMC for the 1100 etc range if this is of any help.

thanks roy for this tip i know the black sq knob part is similar to austin A30 of which i am being sent one to try but the early transit vans had them so if any one has a source let me know
after a few probs with the milling and original going missing
now news casting done and the rear mechanism also made a friend of mine is going to post the pictures as i cannot and showing the whole item complete
it will be left for people to paint to their desire .price is £164 each
let me know

In case it`s of any help to this thread........

A few pictures of Simon Austin's heater control panel with switch. An original part is there for comparison.

Good idea to change the cable fixing to a simple bike style clamp, original looks a bit over-engineered. Can't remember now, but did cable go round the wheel and could be adjusted of it stretched on the original?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Presumably that's the protoype.
The casting looks rather good. Slightly thicker face than the original but thats easily filed back for a fine fit.

The cable clamp assembly was originally designed for a push pull operation without causing the cable to kink on the return. The problem being that the heater valve gets very stiff after a few months of no use.

The new design will have to clamp around a metal cable end so it does not crush the cable sheath and impede it's movement.

hi everyone yes jack this is the protoype ive had 3 done and another 3 being done ,unfortunately with castings whatever foundery makes them you will never get a exact copy of a original be it thick or thin material or i could be wrong unless you are willing to pay mega bucks .
its like the conductors budget keys the original supplier closed down who supplied the London bus network over the years luckily ive found a new supplier with the same moulding who can continue to supply them where as other foundries i tried were saying we may not be trading for long
i am pleased i found a place who could make a copy a near to the original unless anyone can get them cheaper again let me know and await your order jack and see all of you at brooklands in april or the RMOOA AGM in march

Update:

The pictures below show the final version of the heater control switch in the full ON - OFF positions. To reduce the chance of a kinked cable/wire the switch is fitted with a pivoting clamp, this is the same method as found on the original.