ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML Platform flooring.

I just want to check something.

Can I just confirm that RML's had Multislat matting from new. The 3 inch slats were only on the RM's and the extended RML's.

Everything had the pyramid nosing on the step edges from new.

The Black and Yellow step edging was only added later (mainly) on the early 1990's refurbishment program.

Many thanks

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: RML Platform flooring.

RMLs like RMs had what is called 'Treadmaster' flooring.

The same material was used on the entire flooring steps and platform.

The slatted sections in the gangways differs between early and late RMs and with RMLs. It also differed in RMC, RCL and BEA variants.

I think but am not sure, but earlier RMs and possibly the prototype batch of RMLs had a four slat gangway and the later vehicles more narrower slats .

I think the RMOOA still supplies or holds stock of Treadmaster.

The rear platform was white edged, the yellow/black 'sharks tooth' is a post LT modification.

The metal pyramid nosing was also used on most areas of heavy wear and often as repair strips in various places.
It is steel and needs to be lifted and rustproofed underneath from time to time in places where water ingresses like the stairs. All this was originally finished in burgundy/maroon

Tom Curtis
I just want to check something.

Can I just confirm that RML's had Multislat matting from new. The 3 inch slats were only on the RM's and the extended RML's. CORRECT

Everything had the pyramid nosing on the step edges from new. CORRECT

The Black and Yellow step edging was only added later (mainly) on the early 1990's refurbishment program. CORRECT

Many thanks

Tom.
Multi-slat was not retrofitted to interiors or platforms on overhaul to those RM buses that didn't have it from new, but multi-slat mat platforms were fitted to accident damaged vehicles when the whole platform was replaced.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Many thanks for those replies.

So I was wondering about platform specifically.

Apart form the prototype RML's it was the production RML vehicles which had the Multislat from new (the narrow slats).

Only the RM had the 3 inch slats from new.

Have I understood correctly?

My bus number (if any): RML2344

In `Routemaster Volume 1` by Ken Blacker it is said that from RM 1705 onwards the thick Treadmaster slats on the platform were replaced by the multi-slat mat.
Thus, all main production RML`s had the latter and just the 880 - 903 batch had the former.

Didn't the very last production RMs also have multi-slat matting in the interiors? (Perhaps Chris can tell us what RM 2213 has?)

I believe the thinking on the platforms was that as almost 100% of slats were changed on overhaul using two mats instead of a load of slats was easier. A lesson already learnt from the RT platforms I'd have thought!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

I just look that up in Ken Blackers book as well as I could not remember exactly.

Might also be of note that the 880-903 batch of RMLs were the only ones with a Chiswick Cream band, full depth heater grille, front panel vents,bonnet roundel and enclosed front number plate grille and had the herzim strip with burgundy insert on the interiors above the window line.

The main batch of RMLs from CUV xxx C to SMK xxxF are all externally the same, with the first having a flake grey band, the number plate affixed to the actual radiator with a rubber bottom edge, a full polished grille trim front wing panels had no vent panels and no cut away for the foglamp which was positioned slightly lower.

Interior details changed and white lower deck ceilings replaced sung yellow for the last batches (E and F registered vehicles)

The last thirty standard RM`s had `flat` Treadmaster floors on both decks of a similar style to the RMC`s and RCL`s. It did look very different. I used to travel on one often when I started on LT in 1973. It was RM 7 which had not long been overhauled and sent to PB garage with body 2196. This must have been the biggest difference between bonnet number and body number of any RM ever.

Jack Norie
I just look that up in Ken Blackers book as well as I could not remember exactly.

Might also be of note that the 880-903 batch of RMLs were the only ones with a Chiswick Cream band, full depth heater grille, front panel vents,bonnet roundel and enclosed front number plate grille and had the herzim strip with burgundy insert on the interiors above the window line.

The main batch of RMLs from CUV xxx C to SMK xxxF are all externally the same, with the first having a flake grey band, the number plate affixed to the actual radiator with a rubber bottom edge, a full polished grille trim front wing panels had no vent panels and no cut away for the foglamp which was positioned slightly lower.

Interior details changed and white lower deck ceilings replaced sung yellow for the last batches (E and F registered vehicles)

Early batch of RMLs had red used ticket boxes and no kicking plate on the bottom step of the staircase when new. Around the time the RCLs were introduced, the design of the bonnet also changed, the flat front (and pocket behind0, that allowed the fixing of the roundel badge was changed, the shaping of the bonnet continued to the front creating a pointed finish to which a badge could not be fixed.

Missed those ones out but quite correct.

Those bonnets are very mix and match there are a lot of RMLs with the flat nose bonnet and a lot of early RMs with the apex moulded bonnet. Something that gets rarely noticed.

The apex bonnet line is supposed to line up with the centre line of the grille centre embellishing strip.
A bit hopeful on that I used to think!!

Thee is no reason it shouldn't Jack, there is plenty of scope for adjustment of the position of the bonnet and the grille. Problem with a lot of bonnets nowadays is the back is broken or wooden fillet broken or rotten and it comes short of the grille line.

neil G
The last thirty standard RM`s had `flat` Treadmaster floors on both decks of a similar style to the RMC`s and RCL`s. It did look very different. I used to travel on one often when I started on LT in 1973. It was RM 7 which had not long been overhauled and sent to PB garage with body 2196. This must have been the biggest difference between bonnet number and body number of any RM ever.

Just seen a photo on Flickr of Rob Duker's RM 1797 which has B1808. The interior gangway flooring is multislat mats on both decks.

Many RM`s gained multi-slat mats for the central gangway to replace worn original wide individual slats.

I`m not sure if any of the last thirty RM`s had the original `flat floor` centre sections replaced by multi-slat mats later in life through wear. I can think of two at least that made it to the end of their LT days with the `flat floor` in place. We had one at Stamford Brook, 2192. Another one I encountered years later was 2156.

Neil G
Many RM`s gained multi-slat mats for the central gangway to replace worn original wide individual slats......

I'm not sure they did Neil, it would not have been necessary to replace the whole gangway on an RM particularly the upper saloon front on overhaul, I never did it when I was on L/S at Aldenham and all the RMs I did had single slat flooring. I think its more likely these buses had this flooring from new.

The mod for multi-slat flooring to be applied to new buses was MOD 434 and on the platform Mod 315 I don't have a list of mods, it would be interesting to know what flooring member's RMs have particularly those with bodies before B1805.

There were most definitely RMs running in service that had a patchwork of flooring.

There were a few at NB that had both the multi slat and the wide slat on the upper deck aisles. And it looked as good as it sounds !!

These were garage replacements when original flooring was wearing from age and the WASP overhaul regime was underway, with corners being cut.

Redoing a whole floor in an operational garage was far too time consuming so whatever was supplied was whatever was fitted- even if it did not match.

Prior to that RMs fresh from overhaul often had new aisle, platform and step flooring but rarely under the seats

I don`t think any RM`s had multi-slat gangways from new.
Only the last thirty differed from new in having the flat floor treadmaster throughout both decks as a change from the traditional wide slats.
The example of RM 1797 having multi-slat is because of the London Central refurb where, as I mentioned previously, all such buses had original wide slats replaced. I still think there were overhauls that gained multi-slat - after all if fitting perma-floor was once considered viable it wouldn`t have been too difficult to replace worn original slats with multi-slat sections.
Ideally what we need is for an RM owner with a non refurb to confirm that they have multi-slat gangway flooring.

Jack Norie

Prior to that RMs fresh from overhaul often had new aisle, platform and step flooring but rarely under the seats

Under the seats didn't get the wear, treadmaster sheet only needed to be replaced where it had lifted due to the joint plates underneath working loose. As a result, a lot of the flooring under the seats was gradually replaced by plates across the floor bars.

The only reason multi-slat would have been "supplied" was if it was requisitioned by the coachmaker.

Be good to know what Chris has on RM 2213 as that has a late body and if anyone has a mix,something I have never seen. My experience of flooring ended with Aldenham closing.

It was quite common for a mix of multi-slat platforms and single slat flooring, I know RM 548 retains single slats in the interior as does our RM 1585.

RML Platform flooring.

Well Brian, RM2213 has single slat throughout.

It had multi-slat on the floor trap over the gear box when I got it which was odd. At a rally in Milton Keynes, another RM owner with multi-slats had single slats on his floor trap. He suggested a swap and this was effected instantly to our mutual satisfaction!

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Thanks Chris, that blows out of the water the notion that later RMs had multi-slat from new. Rob's RM 1797 must be a retrofit in the garages or Aldenham changed its policy on slatting after I got off my knees and found an office job!!

If what Chris describes as `single slat` is the standard gangway floor arrangement as shown in the picture here, it raises another point regarding the last thirty RM bodies of which his RM 2213 is one. These were fitted from new with flat non-slatted gangway treadmaster. `Single sheet` might be an appropriate term for these as no slats were built in. It seems somewhat bizarre that if a need arose to replace these - which logically would have been due to wear after several years - why use the style as shown in the picture if multi-slat would have been available by then and considered to be the replacement for the original style?

My earlier point regarding RM 1797 having multi-slat on both decks should be of no surprise as new floors were fitted to the London Central RM`s refurbished in the late 1990`s.

Chris's RM is not oner of the last 30 built, it has Body B2136

I can confirm, having looked at an official LT photo, (RML 2552) that production RML's had Treadmaster multi-slat flooring on the platform and in the gangways. It also has the modified offside trafficator arrangement. I don't know when this mod first appeared on new buses but all the Country bus RML's, (up to 2460), had the original arrangement.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Yep, Brian - you`re right.
I looked at the 2213 before the present one and found B2200!