ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM Drivers Door

Morning All.

I am rebuilding two Routemaster cab doors from different buses, both doors are of different construction.

One door is made from one piece sheet of ply which extends down to the bottom of the door.
The other one, is half ply, then fabricated on the bottom half with hardwood.

The all ply one will be easier to made.
Both look like LT made, as they both have the fancy folds round the edges.

Were they both used, or was one a later mod?

Thanks

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM1797

Re: RM Drivers Door

Are the RM part numbers stamped on the components?

The woodwork was often marked with part numbers as well albeit very faint sometimes

They did make a lot of attempts at economy of scale at Aldenham in later years, changes in materials for pipework and such so the simpler door construction might be one.

There are no numbers stamped on the wood, when I removed the ali skin, all I was left with was a plie of dust where the wood was.
I am suprised that the door worked, just the outer skin keeping it in one piece.
I think the all ply door must have been a later cost saving measure.

Rob

Have a look in the dust, you'll find them somewhere.... :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

The cab doors frames were bought in by LT, The interior of the door was a form of block board with a very thin aluminium sheet pressed on both sides, the gap is visible if the fittings are removed.
At Aldenham we took the basis frame and added the fittings, handles, sliding window assembly etc using new or reconditioned parts. On return from garages or taken off at overhaul, the door framing was not repaired if damaged, it was stripped of fittings and scrapped.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

The parts list describes the RM door frame as PLYMAX
Google suggests this is a 1930's material! It is 3-ply plywood with a sheet of 24 Gauge aluminium glued to it, it was used on the Halifax bomber which is probably where LT got the idea to use it.

There is also listed a "reconstructed door" RM 247 D1 so perhaps in later life a way was found to repair the damaged doors, but I am not aware of what that entailed.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585, (M 961, M 271 - both sold) and several RTs

Thanks Brian,

Very useful

Seasons Greetings to all

Regards

Rob

Small pamphlet on here from the manufacturers of this material. Dates from late 1920's.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/1510337/descriptive-booklet-venesta-plymax-coachbuilding-1927

My bus number (if any): RLH62