ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boris's Bus

A rare trip to London led me to a meeting of old pals at the London Transport Museum today.

Rather enjoyed the exhibits but more the rather good cafe and the range of unusual stuff in the shop.

It was though, rather expensive to say the least. It was cheaper to have a hot chocolate in the Savoy where we ended up!

However, I did ask if they have the new Boris's Bus book in stock as I would like a copy or two to take back with me.

The reply was quite extraordinary. The sales assistant went and checked and another ( presumably a manager) came and told me that the book was an unauthorised publication and subject to a legal injunction and thus the book is banned in the UK.

I had to pinch myself. Is this true? A bus book of all things? In the UK? Or was someone having a post liquid lunch laugh at my expense?

Maybe someone on this site can be a bit more enlightening.

It is I think a Capital Transport Publishing book and the LTM seem to sell a lot of their books. Several of which are must haves if involved with RM or RT preservation.

Apologies as this is not quite Routemaster related although this bus is now called the "New Routemster'. I was corrected twice in the museum shop for calling it the Borismaster!!

Re: Boris's Bus

A quick Google of the book name brought this up, from 6 days ago

Boris bus manufacturers threatened to block critical new book

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (also known as RCN701)

try

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Boriss-Bus-James-Whiting/9781854143693

or

http://capitaltransport.com/

just ordered mine

My bus number (if any): M1001 RML2276 T806

Surely if the authors are reporting known defects then I don't see the problem. If they are slagging off the makers, that's a different matter. After all, the RMs went through a lot of teething problems as did the RTs before them, not to mention the DMS problems...

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I have a copy, and yes, it deals with the teething problems and faults. Production quality issues etc and how they get resolved. All normal aspects of any development project.

But it is very balanced and impartial as one would expect from a factual book in a free society.

It seems a pretty good book and has a lot of parallels with the Birth of the Routemaster book.

I cannot see anything in the book that could be taken as detrimental from the report link posted.

It just seems rather daft to ban such a book.

There are quite a few little errors in this book have had some time to read it.

I think my favorite is the one on Page 98. I think you will find that is a Streetlight Chassis and not an LT. The two are built side by side in the factory so I can see how the error happened.

My bus number (if any): RML2344