ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rexine Paint

I'm looking to repaint the blue rexine in my Regent V. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of any rexine paint?

My bus number (if any): RM 1699 Eastbourne Regent III (AHC442) Regent V (KHC369)

Re: Rexine Paint

If you feel adventurous you could always put in new rexine, depends what colour you want.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Steven Wood
I'm looking to repaint the blue rexine in my Regent V. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of any rexine paint?
Not sure there is a rexine paint Steve. LT used ordinary I think it was satin finish when painting over rexine and lino.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Unless there`s a distinct difference between Rexine and Leathercloth, the paint that LT used for the `side walls `was specifically called `Burgundy Leathercloth` and was different to Burgundy Brushing Gloss.

I recently took a can of Indian Red paint to various shops around Bournemouth and Poole to see if I could find somewhere who could make some as most of the composition formula was on the label - except that a paint run had dribbled through part of it thus making it not completely readable. My quest ended at an auto-motive paint supplier who was very helpful and said that by going through one of their suppliers they could make it. So I asked about paint for rexine and the answer was that if I could bring in a sample they could almost certainly make it. I`ve got a part can of original LT Leathercloth paint (not immediately to hand) and if we ever get weather suitable for painting I may well get some made. If it helps I can dig out the contact details of the place concerned.

Avenue Coatings in west London used to supply me with lino paint and rexine paint. They can still supply Sung Yellow for RM ceilings. I don't have their number to hand.

Rexine is ICI's brand name for leather cloth. Not having had much to do with the painting side Neil I was not aware there was burgundy leathercloth paint.

Perhaps it needs a special paint and it was certainly painted over on RTs etc and RMs before the decision was taken to strip it off the RM and just paint the metal. A search of the internet doesn't show much for such a paint, but LT has all sorts of concoctions, some RT paint being made up of thinners and undercoat.

Many years ago I had a tin of rexine green paint supplied by the late Alan Allmey. It had a very powdery consistency. That too may still be lurking around somewhere.

The rexine bit on the paint just refers to the LT shade colour and the intended use. ie on rexine

They had Burgundy and grey for RMs and Green and Brown for RT/RF and was a semi-matt finish.

It was an oil based paint with a lot of elasticity in the formulation. This was to prevent it lifting and crazing.

Waterbased paints won't do the trick as the damp and mould will soon do for it.

There are currently paints for coating vinyl which may be more suitable as oil based formulations are now highly restricted.

There was also yellow for the upper window surrounds Mark. Although it was supposed to prevent crazing it was not that successful. We strip off the old rexine on our buses and paint with a semi gloss, much better finish.

Oops! Missed out the yellow and that really did craze strangely more than the green did.

Many thanks for all the contributions. To sum up it looks as if I need to find an oil based paint - (or at least one suitable for vinyl) and specify a semi - matt finish.

I'll report back and let you know how I get on!

My bus number (if any): RM 1699 Eastbourne Regent III (AHC442) Regent V (KHC369)

hi steven
the finish maybe a eggshell try the following
HMG paints 0161 205 5551 now in manchester used to be in rainham in essex ive used these they used to supply london bus and truck if i remember rightly or
Breakwell paints ltd in walsall on 01922 400444 ive had 1960s L.T.red from sample and indian wheel red made you should get a answer from either one

My bus number (if any): RCL2238,RT,RF,RM

oil eggshell is still a superior paint but won't have the right finish and is a harder flat finish.

But what might well be worth trying is to mix the same make oil paints.

So for example 50% Burgundy Eggshell with 50% Burgundy Gloss.

I think it will be around 70% eggshell with 30% gloss to get a similar sheen to that of original rexine.

A good paint technician should be able to replicate the finish from a sample.

I hasten to add that this is almost certainly how LT came up with it's rexine paints in the first place, but as the original LT suppliers have gone the specifications have probably long gone too.

simon (squirrel preservation)
hi steven

HMG paints 0161 205 5551 now in manchester used to be in rainham in essex ive used these they used to supply london bus and truck if i remember rightly or

Indeed they do - RT 3183 was painted at LT&B while still in its previous owner's hands . HMG are still in Purfleet but it is only a sales and distribution depot. All the technical stuff is still done at Manchester.

Try:
http://www.hmgpaint.com/contacts/

My bus number (if any): RT 3183