ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear box switch

Whilst making the most of this unseasonably warm weather I had occasion to remove the cover from the gear box switch unit behind the drivers head. I was rather surprised to find this:

photo IMG_20140119_132202_zps82be15e4.jpg

I am fascinated to know, and I thought others might also be interested; does anyone know, was this a standard bodge? Does anyone know why it was done or what was wrong with the set of black wires? Do others have the same thing?

It ain't broke so I don't intend to fix it but I'd be happier knowing this is a normal in-service modification rather than a rig-up job that is going to cause me problems down the line.

Grateful for any illumination.

Hugo.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

Re: Gear box switch

Clearly a rewire for some reason or other probably an unseen innaccessible wiring insulation fault.

For prime safety, fit blanking covers over all the disused connections. These are little plastic stubs.
This will prevent the chances ot a terminal or terminals touching any other connections that may or may not be live.

Thise reduces the chances of a short, electrical component damage and even fire.

Cutting and removing could open another can of worms or remove a point of reference which may come useful at a later date.

I believe the wiring has been altered to bypass the Gearbox control panel which would plug into the bottom of the panel. If your bus only works in Semi automatic and not fully automatic this would explain the reason.

My bus number (if any): RM44 RM1138

I'd agree with Stuart, it's a standard by-pass wiring if you get problems with the auto panel which I usually a blue box to the left of the "Christmas Tree" wiring you have there.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hello Hugo

It is, as suggested, a conversion to semi automatic use. The silver box to the left in your photo is the original type gear control panel and would have plugged into the socket (the cable is just visible above the control panel). The loose cables are not that much of an issue as they connect to the socket at the bottom and are therefore dead. I would however insulate the ends and secure them.

Better to retain the wiring assembly as you may wish to revert to the auto facility, although I do have these "christmas trees" (as they were known) in stock. Of course all the other components (panel, Speed generator etc) would also need checking.

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Many thanks for the enlightenment.

I will, as suggested, insulate off the ends otherwise I'll be leaving well alone.

I didn't realise that fully automatic was an option. But I'll stick to the semi-auto operation to keep that Formula 1 type driver experience.

If anyone needs a clearer photo so that they can copy the mod when their Xmas tree goes phut, let me know.

Cheers,

Hugo.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

Disconnected wiring live or dead should be isolated. I think it was the Clapham rail disaster which was caused by an overworked BR electrician failing to do so. A bare wire contacted another circuit and changed a signal from stop to go.