ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are you looking for Doverite ?

Ensign have a new source

http://ensignvintagebuses.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Are you looking for Doverite ?

That is very good news. Hope it will be available to all owners very soon.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

1013 would be very glad to get a new set of tapes. The old stuff was so far gone we have resorted to polishing the chrome.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

I gather from "le patron" who gets the RMA magazine now, Doverite is now available from Ensigns, anyone have a price yet or details of how to order?

I have asked this question before with mixed answers so worth I think asking again.

Sounds like a silly question but go with me here.

Which poles were covered in Doverite?

Firstly yes, The rearmost platform pole,
The main centre platform pole,

Then the bendy pole which goes from the front of the platform, over the ticket box and up to the ceiling. I have seen this pole with three sections of Doverite and some with only two. The part of the pole which goes up to the ceiling sometimes doesn't have Doverite. Was this a difference between the batches?

Then there is the pole opposite (next to the conductors locker). Does this pole have Doverite on it or again does it depend on batch? Mine did when I first had it.

Tom

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Usual way to tell is if there are end caps for the doverite to be contained.

It certainly covers the three outer grab poles.

In the Ken Blacker Book, Brand new RM66 on page 44 shows doverite on the rear outer vertical. The central outer pole and on the outer vertical and horizontal over the used ticket box, but not the inner vertical poles to the saloon.
So a total of 4 separate sections of doverite covered poles.

Some repaired grab poles were covered with Doverite to hide the join and any possible abrasions to hands.

That's correct Mark although some RMs in preservation gained doverite on the vertical section of the commode rail (to give it its proper name)

So doverite on rear frame grab rail, platform stanchion and vertical and horizontal parts of the commode rail on the rear bulkhead. Nowhere else.

Thank you for your responses.

My RM: had it next to the conductors locker but it was starting to flake off so I removed all trace then polished it. I was never convinced that it should of been there (the Dovrite).

Cheers,

My bus number (if any): RML2344

The RT one had doverite, not the RM, that should be stainless steel. Originally on RTs this hand rail was not fitted and was a retrofit on overhaul and at garages.