ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windscreen glass required for RM606

I was speaking to the bus's owner today and he firstly relayed the good news to me that the owner of the bus's original WLT 606 registration finally agreed to sell him it for a realistic price. John also still requires windscreen glass for the bus and asked if anyone knows of a manufacturer for this, I was thinking Squirrel Preservation?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

Re: Windscreen glass required for RM606

Look at the glass in your bus section of ROOF or try local glass merchant.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

your local glass merchant can cut it for you using laminated glass, or PSV Glass at High Wycombe keep it in stock ready made. I may have one in stock. Have fun fitting it, it's not an easy task, make sure you use new window rubber.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

You can get the glass cut anywhere, its not difficult. Have fun dismantling the screen frame to get the glass in. Its a pig of a job best done at home off the bus. The flat bottom part of the frame separates after undoing 4 tiny set screws and removing the angle brackets.

My bus number (if any): rm531

I don't think Graham is doing the job, but I have done these and RTs which are the same ( but with brass frames) and one thing you have to remember is the glass is now mostly metric and slightly thicker than the original, that difference makes the fitting of the glass in the frame using the original rubber.

Brian Watkinson
I don't think Graham is doing the job, but I have done these and RTs which are the same ( but with brass frames) and one thing you have to remember is the glass is now mostly metric and slightly thicker than the original, that difference makes the fitting of the glass in the frame using the original rubber.

Thanks guys, I'm going to pass the address and phone number of the supplier at High Wycombe onto 606's owner and I'm sure he can get it sent up by courier.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

Windscreen glass required for RM606

Hi Graham, The PSV part number is PR5L61C and it is £72.19+VAT, including delivery. They had some in stock last week because I bought one. My email is linked from the bottom of this post.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Graham Laurie
Brian Watkinson

Thanks guys, I'm going to pass the address and phone number of the supplier at High Wycombe onto 606's owner and I'm sure he can get it sent up by courier.

They deliver, High Wycombe is not their only branch.

When contacting PSV Glass, it may be worth checking which glass you require as there are two types of windscreen available depending whether you have a new or old style screen.

With the correct piece of glass, mine went back together very easily.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Andrew Morgan
When contacting PSV Glass, it may be worth checking which glass you require as there are two types of windscreen available depending whether you have a new or old style screen.

With the correct piece of glass, mine went back together very easily.

It's the old style screen Andrew as RM606 is still in original condition... well except for the strip interior lighting she was fitted with during her rebuild in 1991 after her front end was pulverised by a collision with a lamppost, as you know there is a photo of her in heavily damaged condition in your 'Working with Routemasters' book.

Do you have any measurements for the old style windscreen glass?

If your are recommending PSV glass why do need measurements? If you do, take the glass out and use it as a pattern or measure the frame?

When I bought some glass from PSV Glass I asked for it to suit the old style windscreen, and eventually they said "oh yes, you want the 6mm rather than 8mm thick glass". They confirmed that the newer windcreens, rather than the original ones, have thicker glass.

I believe that the part number is the same (PR5L61C) so you have been warned !!

My bus number (if any): RM1368