ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The scruffiest Routemaster ever?

Back in June 2013 in a thread regarding `gold transfers first time around` and when these went out of general use on Routemasters, I mentioned an RML that I used to see on the 37`s. I was guessing it may have been 2539 which not only made it into the 1980`s with gold transfers but was also in appalling condition. I`ve found a photo of it and whilst it`s not a great photo I have to say, in my defence, that it`s actually the awful condition of the bus that has a lot to do with the lack of clarity! The bonnet and registration numbers are covered in dirt - as is the rest of the bus. The running number plate isn`t exactly easy to read either which wouldn`t be much help to a Point Inspector trying to look at it from the other side of a road. Typical `couldn`t care` New Cross attitude.

But even by New Cross standards, RML 2539 looks pretty awful. I remember it well - in service with multiple dents (which on the roof line were not normal garage repairs but the lower level collision damage should have been) and exceptional dirt way beyond `normal` road spray. The interior was dreadful too. Because of the appearance and the gold transfers (and this may well have been the last RML to carry these) the bus stood out and was well known to the Point Inspectors at Queens Road on the Upper Richmond Road where Mortlake crews `changed over` on the 33`s. Whenever this RML passed by comments would be made as nobody could ever recall seeing such a knocked about, dirty bus.

Hopefully Brian can supply the overhaul dates as I`m guessing that when I took this picture at New Cross Garage (thirty four years ago today) on Feb 2nd 1980, the bus was probably not long off its next overhaul. The holder for the BESI plates had long gone from buses by this time and likewise with gold transfers.

Re: The scruffiest Routemaster ever?

I've seen far worse RMs but they were in LCBS days, Neil is right roof damage was an Aldenham job, but small dents on front domes were garage work, each District had a coppersmith whose job it was to knock out domes and in RT days, front wings. That dome damage was done whilst it was at NX, I have a photo of it without that dent.

RML 2539's paint condition may not be down to New Cross as it was first overhauled 10/8/73 and went to Putney, it was transferred to NX 11/10/75 and stayed there until its next overhaul 17/6/80, it appears to have missed the circa 1976/7 repaints its contemporaries received.
RML 2538 was repainted 9/77 and RML 2540 was repainted 4/76.
RML 2539 was not delicensed whilst at NX so the missed repaint appears to be an error by Aldenham or NX would not release the bus and it was overlooked.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Maybe Tony can fill us in on the graffiti attack at BN a few days before the buses finally came off the road.

How would they have known? Most of BNs buses were covered in tags and etched windows. Or were they smartened up when Arriva took over? Quite how they managed some of the tags mystified me, must have hung out of the window of the bus next door to do some of them.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

The pen brigade unfortunately where always a problem at Bn. The coach makers where always happy changing glass and painting. I remember one morning they had sprayed about 10 buses and I mean tagged the buses from front to rear.
tony

My bus number (if any): 1083