ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A near miss

Working in my shed today, on GKE68, the Chatham & District Bristol K5gG, I was visited by one of the East Kent enthusiasts who rents a space in the same place for his Reliance.

He wanted to start it as it hasn't run for a while. It turned but wouldn't start, so he wandered down and asked to use my boost pack. no problem, we chatted for a while, went along with the boost pack. I went to put the clips on his batteries and noticed they were smoking quite badly. We straight away turned the isolator off; I felt the nearest battery to me which was VERY hot1

We retreated a safe distance to wait for things to cool down and for any fumes to disperse. A while later he gingerly disconnected the batteries and took them outside.

I suspect the starter had jammed in and this had caused either a short circuit or drained the batteries.

Luckily no harm was done except maybe to his batteries. I dread to think what could have happened as there's 18 buses in that shed as well as my workshop equipment and spares. So, if your bus won't start, make sure the starter isn't jammed in before you leave it, and turn the isolator off!

Re: A near miss

Good advice from Roy.

I regularly have to give my buses a charge/boost to get them started particularly in this cold weather, I have one simple rule that I NEVER leave the batteries unattended while connected to the booster,

You only have to do a history search on these forums to read some battery related horror stories.

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548