ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake adjusters, I'm totally confused!

Can anyone who has the Walker's Manual please have a look at Page 75 figure 27 and tell me if the drawing is of the O/S/R or is it a misprint? It shows a R/H thread on the worm.

I have a photo of the worm we took from an O/S/R adjuster and it's the opposite hand (ie L/H thread)to the one depicted in the drawing! AS we are trying to get these made, it's vitally important we get the right one.
Is it possible post Chiswick that the wrong threaded worm has been put in the O/S/R if that is the case, the adjuster would not have functioned and manual adjustment would have wound the brakes off!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: Brake adjusters, I'm totally confused!

Can't help with the manual, but it is possible that the wrong handed adjuster has been fitted. I have some spare adjusters that I can service and end to you to save the expense of getting them made.

I done an RT in Germany that had the wrong adjuster on the n/s/r; that explained why the teeth had work out on the adjuster, luckily I took a couple of spare with me!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I would have thought the wrong handed adjuster being fitted would be obvious as the grease nipple would be at the back. If you mean fitted with the wrong worm, then that is possible but surely you'd soon know it as you wouldn't be able to wind them on to adjust them.

AS the ones we have tie in with the LT Manual's direction of turning for winding off, I'm inclining towards the drawing being an error and a right hand thread being drawn when it should be a left hand.
As the Walkers is supposed to be a word for word copy of the LT manual, has Neil G still got access to a copy? Or better still a drawing of any one of the adjuster?

Brian

What I have to hand is a folder containing the entire LT manual in photocopy pages. I should have an original somewhere - but I can`t get to it just now.
So my page number doesn`t tie in with yours but I have drawings as follows:

Fig 12: Exploded view of slack adjuster.
Fig 12A: Arrangement of automatic brake adjuster mechanism.
Fig 12B: Arrangement of automatic brake adjuster mechanism on O/S front wheel.
Fig 12c: As 12b but for O/R wheel.

The text for brakes is `Section 9, pages 31 - 35`. Is this what you have?
I`m leaving home now for an `office day ` so I`ll take the pages with me and if it could be what you need then maybe I can fax it to you?

Hi Neil
Haven't haven't got a fax here or access to one. Any chance of scanning them? If not I'll find out if Philippe is in the office and what our fax number is.

What would be very helpful is if any of the drawings shows the worm's direction of thread and says which slack adjuster it is from.

Having checked the threads on the rear adjusters we have, the O/S/R worm we took out has a L/H thread which is the opposite thread to the drawing of the O/S/R in the Walkers Manual I hope it's not a straight copy of the LT drawing. I've posted a link to the pictures and drawing, I posted on Flickr, can't seem to get photos on here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/12475929135/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/12476485234/

Hi Brian

I`m not sure that what I have shows what you need in sufficient clarity - or at all - but I`ll have a go at scanning the diagrams - which I have to say are way beyond my knowledge and ability as regards the technical stuff !

If you scan the drawings and save them as JPEG images just like a photo, they can be posted but also emailed.
Just scan to the highest resolution and the biggest file size, then you can enlarge the image.

Scans sent to your email, Brian. But I doubt they are anything different (and of inferior quality) to what you already have and probably don`t get you the answer you need. I can try to look out the original manual tonight if needed.

Thanks so much Neil,

Sent you a return E mail.

Brian Watkinson
Can anyone who has the Walker's Manual please have a look at Page 75 figure 27 and tell me if the drawing is of the O/S/R or is it a misprint? It shows a R/H thread on the worm.

I have a photo of the worm we took from an O/S/R adjuster and it's the opposite hand (ie L/H thread)to the one depicted in the drawing! AS we are trying to get these made, it's vitally important we get the right one.
Is it possible post Chiswick that the wrong threaded worm has been put in the O/S/R if that is the case, the adjuster would not have functioned and manual adjustment would have wound the brakes off!

The Walkers manual drawing is wrong. The worm thread shown in their drawing is for a N/S/R and not the O/S as depicted. The original LT drawing is of a "cross section through a typical slack adjuster showing the method of operation" Walkers have added the O/S/R description!

The worm thread is the same for both sides. the differences are in the actual body of the adjuster, which side the grease nipple is or which end the RP adjuster goes in.

On RM adjusters, you adjust UP to adjust the brake UP, so the right side turns anti-clockwise, the left side turns clockwise to adjust. To slacken you remove the pin holding the RP adjuster rod and turn the whole adjuster the opposite way.

The logic is that with the "same" adjuster body casting, it can be used both sides depending which handed adjuster you fit. With the adjusters fitted, the direction the worm turns depends on which side the S cam comes out.

What you are looking for Brian doesn't exist, unless someone proves otherwise. I have adjusters on the shelf, Carl Ireland has a left side overhauled unit on the shelf. Imperial won't sell odd components to individuals as they need to protect their business interests. Even I have a problem getting parts from them sometimes and I buy in excess of £10k worth of stuff there most years.

What is most certainly wrong in that drawing is the measurement for the operating link at 4+". You will have a hard job to get the operating bolt in because that is about 2" too short.

Without checking on a dissembled unit, I can't see any reason for the worm to need to be handed. A worm and wheel diff will operate in either direction. We already know that the nearside and the offside adjuster spindle has to be turned in the opposite direction one side to the other. The part that is handed is the round ratchet drum in the adjuster nose piece.

roythebus
The worm thread is the same for both sides. the differences are in the actual body of the adjuster, which side the grease nipple is or which end the RP adjuster goes in.

The worm that sheared is a right hand thread. The one we took from the O/S/R is a left hand thread. Open the link on my previous post to see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/12475929135/

When we showed an RM maintainer (and ex LT fitter) the Walkers drawing, he immediately said that worm is wrong, that is the N/S/R one. Now you can see why I'm confused!

If they're not handed, why do you have to wind off in different directions on different wheels as you described above?

The RM Instruction Manual, when describing how to adjust the shoes up when new shoes are fitted, says "The adjustment is made by turning the square ended shaft clockwise O.S.F and N.S.R and anti-clockwise N.S.F and O.S.R.

To put paid to the confusion, the other roy and I stripped down a pair or rear adjusters this afternoon.

The rear LEFT adjuster has a right hand thread and the teeth on the RP adjuster go this way >; the rear RIGHT adjuster has left hand thread and the teeth on the RP adjuster go this way <.

No, I don't have a spare worm. It is likely to cost more than the price of a complete replacement adjuster to get a worm gear made.

If the square on the adjuster rod is chewed up, it should be possible to remake the square by careful use of welding and a file.

Thanks Roy Philippe will be pleased that he isn't going mad!
As you may know a N/S/R is on its way to us.

We have an estimate for making one R/H threaded worm and it's marginally less than an adjuster from Imperial. We bought two new "squares" from RMOA, so now sorted for those thanks.

I suppose those with RM experience know which direction to wind off/on shoes, but I suspect the worm on that RML we are doing was broken by over turning in the wrong direction long before we had sight of it.

Having used the search engine on here i'm glad i've found this thread. I was called this morning by Anthony, (Alan Browns son) to be informed that 158 requires a replacement 'nearside rear slack adjuster.' They haven't one in stock and checking with there contacts. So what is my next step in solving this. Has anyone got one they wish to sell, are they on the shelf in the club/imperial or is they a repair kit available?
Thanks in advance for the help and advice

My bus number (if any): rm158

Re: Brake adjusters, I\'m totally confused!

Imperial. But try John at PSV Partsmaster he may have one on the shelf.

What is the matter with the existing one Mark, is it seized? They rarely break unless wound the wrong way or too hard ( worm can shear)and the square adjusting key can be replaced if that has rounded. The N/S/R is also the most awkward one to get at.

Imperial have them for sure (service exchange item, or as Roy suggests, try Partsmaster.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Re: Brake adjusters, I\\\'m totally confused!

Thanks Roy, will give a call to both on monday morning..

My bus number (if any): rm158

Mark D
Having used the search engine on here i'm glad i've found this thread. I was called this morning by Anthony, (Alan Browns son) to be informed that 158 requires a replacement 'nearside rear slack adjuster.' They haven't one in stock and checking with there contacts. So what is my next step in solving this. Has anyone got one they wish to sell, are they on the shelf in the club/imperial or is they a repair kit available?

Re: Brake adjusters, I\\'m totally confused!

Michael J Langley T/a Abbey Engineering uk
Mark D

I'm even more confused NOW!! What are these quoted posts? If you are offering M brake adjusters great, just post a link to your firm eg Abbey Engineering, and give the price and conditions service exchange etc!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs

Mike Langley t/a Abbey Engineering

Mike Langley's website is www.abbeyengineeringuk.co.uk Prices start from £65 + postage (exchange) depending on the extent of wear/damage, which seems very competitive

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Mike Langley t/a Abbey Engineering

Remarkably competitive in fact. good luck if he can keep turning them out at that price.