ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another view from a roof

Looking out from the Drawing Office of the former AEC Works at a selection of withdrawn stock on June 2nd 1985. The `identifiable` RM`s are 311 standing ahead of 36.

But what`s with the `train`? I doubt I intended to get anything unusual in the background so a couple of HST power cars was a bit unexpected. Maybe it was the Old Oak Common Running Shift popping out to get some fish & chips!

Re: Another view from a roof

Pale matt pink paint on the roofs of all the RMs. Just like RM471 had all over before being repainted at Avery's like Mitch's with RMC1462. Don't want to be out-shone at RM60! Hope our recent paint job lasts and lasts! They say modern 2-pack paint is much more resistant to fade. Hope they're right.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

The curse of the Lincoln washing machine. Doubt Kingston's RMs had such pink roofs.

When RT/RF overhauls were in full swing at Aldenham, roof painting was categorised, there was at one extreme a full paint strip and 3 coats of primer/undercoat prior to spray finish or just rub down and paint. The method of painting changed in the early 70s with a change to hot spray which was supposed to be more resilient, but with cost cutting and few repaints ever getting more than a rub down, it's no surprise to see such faded roofs.
Mind you not as bad as the hand painted MBs and SMs that had metal showing on the front corners after just weeks in service thanks to the Lincoln.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Neil G
Looking out from the Drawing Office of the former AEC Works at a selection of withdrawn stock on June 2nd 1985. The `identifiable` RM`s are 311 standing ahead of 36.

But what`s with the `train`? I doubt I intended to get anything unusual in the background so a couple of HST power cars was a bit unexpected. Maybe it was the Old Oak Common Running Shift popping out to get some fish & chips!

Another lovely picture, but are you sure the only RM there with a non-faded roof is RM 311? Am sure that bus never saw storage in Southall in the 1980s - it indeed stayed in service, latterly with Arriva, well into the new millennium. Could it be RM 315, or 371, withdrawn around the same time?

June 1985 RM 311 was at Aldenham being overhauled. It went in 15/4 from SP and left 19/7 to AL. It's not RM 315 that was at TC at the time but could be amongst others RM 371

You`re right, Barry. 311 lasted well towards the end of Routemasters in service.
I`ve had another look at the picture and zoomed in but I`m still not sure of the number. It starts with 3. The bus doesn`t have non-opening front u/d windows.
It certainly has a TC code. Could it be 389 which I think was a TC bus?

Not 389 Neil, that was still at TC in June 1985, not delicensed until 12/7/85. However RM 381 fits the bill, delicensed at TC 18/3/85 and sold from AEC 18/6/85.

Got there in the end!
Now, I think those HST power cars start with 43............... !!!!