ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How Sad.....

....that the registration number 1 CLT is currently for sale on a registration website for £42,500. The asset stripping of numbers is a personal hatred of mine, they belong, like the logbook, with the vehicle to which they were allocated!

My bus number (if any): rm531

Re: How Sad.....

Yes, of course it would be great if the number could stay with the bus. But the world has changed and there has to be the possibility that for some people the realisation of a large cash amount from something `not too essential` is now a financial lifeline. A few buses will probably be similarly sacrificed.

steve anderson
....that the registration number 1 CLT is currently for sale on a registration website for £42,500. The asset stripping of numbers is a personal hatred of mine, they belong, like the logbook, with the vehicle to which they were allocated!

Quite agree Steve, especially this bus, I was feeling quite chuffed with myself when I managed to get RM606's original WLT 606 registration back for her owner, I was hoping the days of Routemasters losing their VLT, WLT, CLT & DYE registrations had passed.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

James b
Same here Steve I have it too do we know what plate 1001 is carrying now ? It hurt seeing the London Central and general ones and Brixton one ruined at the end and also London bus go still got rml 110 reg no and rm 85 one as well

Tom was quite fortunate that RM967 slipped under the net and retained her WLT 967 registration on withdrawal.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

It's a great shame that this well known bus has been stripped of it's registration however I still recall the fight we had trying to prove that RM 912 was what it said on the tin after Mike Smith and friends had tried to claim that the registration belonged to a 'set of parts' which they owned. In the end, after a visit from VOSA, commonsense prevailed and RM 912 remained WLT 912. So in some ways it's poetic justice but not for poor old RM 1001 which in a way becomes stateless. Mike looked after the bus for many years and it was a fine example of what a preserved Routemaster should look like.

Ronan and I both have RM number plates on our cars, I have WLT 598, now in America and Ronan has WLT 581, now in Cyprus but if the need ever arose to re-unite either of the plates with the respective buses it would not be a problem providing we were offered suitable replacements.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

If anyone hasn't seen this, it is currently on the Routemaster Association's Facebook page. The posting is dated 2 February 2014. A contact name and telephone number is in the original posting.

RM1001, 1CLT has been put for sale following the sad loss of Mike Smith, A truly original AEC engine, high speed diff, repainted only a few years ago.
Offers in the region of £45,000 to include the number plate.
Please contact

Regards

Jim

My bus number (if any): RLH62

I think that is more likely to be accurate. Buy a registration number get one bus free.

In a conversation many years ago on plates, Mike said he would never sell his bus without the plate and vice versa.

He was a prolific collector of reg numbers and owned many with just a 1 as a digit. Not a bad way to invest long term.

However when it came to his RM and it's plate he was adamant they would not be separated even when he was gone.

I suppose we shall see in time.

Its a problem with this bus to be honest when trying to value it.

If you sell bus and plate together then they in theory are worth a great deal together, if you then separate them, whilst you may well make a quick buck on the plate you have devalued the bus, as clearly anyone paying a lot for an original vehicle will want the correct plate. How much you devalue it by is the moot point, especially if it was going overseas, where plate would be irrelevant.

I had this chat with Mike a few years back and as already stated he wanted to see them stay together (as do I) but after his passing the sentiment was, as you would rightly expect, one of maximising asset value rather than any sentiment, which is why we couldn't match the value for it.

I hope someone with deep pockets does buy it and keeps plate and vehicle together.

Steve

Steve Newman
Its a problem with this bus to be honest when trying to value it.

If you sell bus and plate together then they in theory are worth a great deal together, if you then separate them, whilst you may well make a quick buck on the plate you have devalued the bus, as clearly anyone paying a lot for an original vehicle will want the correct plate. How much you devalue it by is the moot point, especially if it was going overseas, where plate would be irrelevant.

I had this chat with Mike a few years back and as already stated he wanted to see them stay together (as do I) but after his passing the sentiment was, as you would rightly expect, one of maximising asset value rather than any sentiment, which is why we couldn't match the value for it.

I hope someone with deep pockets does buy it and keeps plate and vehicle together.

Steve

Fingers crossed Steve, she would certainly be first on my Shopping list if my Euro Lottery numbers came up tomorrow. BTW, how goes the restoration work on RM1843 and does it have a blog as RT8 had?

Hi Graham

Afraid no special blog for 1843 but she will get mentioned on my next entry on the Ensign vintage blog. There was also a photo on Twitter I posted yesterday of her @EnsignVintage if you want to see current condition

Steve

Steve Newman
Hi Graham

Afraid no special blog for 1843 but she will get mentioned on my next entry on the Ensign vintage blog. There was also a photo on Twitter I posted yesterday of her @EnsignVintage if you want to see current condition

Steve

Just saw a photo of 1843 on your Twitter-site Steve, she's looking good, will you be taking her to RM60 in July?