ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PUSH ONCE button

Help please.
Removed the PUSH ONCE bell button which did not work. It was not connected. Wires are there. Touched both wires this exposed together, and the bell rings. (the bell also works with the chord), Tried connecting wires to the button and Pushed, nothing happens. Tried the switch button on a meter, and nothing goes across when pushed. Tried a bit of WD40 over night, no joy.

Would like to take the button apart without breaking it. to see if I can source the problem, dirt in switch or whatever. It seems like its moulded in. Any tips on how to open this up please? Will it screw out?

My bus number (if any): RCL2559

Re: PUSH ONCE button

The unit will dismantle completely and easily with care.
Note how it comes apart.

All that will be needed is to clean the contacts.
Do this very gently as the plastic is often bakelite and brittle and the other parts can become frail.
Use silicone /plastic lubricant to keep the plastic and rubber parts supple.

It's quite possible if the wires are disconnected that it has been dismantled already and reassembled incorrectly.

if its not too late, below is a picture of all the parts, (there are some variations out there)

might aid you taking it a part!

I have more/better angles, but thats the only one i had on my ipad (away from home)

My bus number (if any): RMF 2771

Many Thanks. I guess having just one bus, I thought they were all the same. Our buttons are rectangle, and the plastic or bacolite seems quite solid.

just slightly different then,

is it possible for you to post a photo of the back, or email me one (link below) then hopefully i can advise futher.

if the back is bakelite i can't imagine it would be moulded for various techical reasons, it could be that who ever possibly reassembled incorrectly, possibly also glued it shut - sounds stupid but people do still do it!

RCL /RMC type. Sorry forgot about those. A coach design that were sometimes common at autojumbles. Probably not so much now

Never taken one of those apart. They are almost certainly the same operation.
Try and photograph it front, side and back and post it on here if in doubt.
Someone will have knowledge on these.

Will almost certainly be no more than a contact issue or a failed spring.

Been having problems posting a picture from a flicka site. Will try a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kindnessoffensive/13005763854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kindnessoffensive/13006064794/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kindnessoffensive/13006067214/

Links appear to be there. Please reload your page to see if they appear for you and let me know. There are 3 links.

eurggggggggg

yeah its a screw in one, (righty tighty - lefty loosey)

problem is thats aluminium and the oxidation will actually tighten the grip on the threads which won't be helped by the probable build up of crap and gunk over the years (prob the reason its stopped working too)

bascially you will need to apply a firm turning force to break the seal, though there is the risk you may crack the bakelite.

what may help loosening it up is applying gentle heat the metal front with a hairdyer or part dipped in warm water (not hot air gun or flame you don't want to damage the bakerlite back/button or rubber gater) or other gentle heat sourse to expand the metal a bit and soften the gunk, then try turning it

Got is loose!!! Sat it in boiling water to cover the metal,just up to the bacolite.

Many many thanks. Am soaking in WD 40 for a bit. No real damage inside, but a bit of surface rust. Will keep you posted and do some pics. Meanwhile does anyone know why Flicka pics won't post here. What am I doing wrong??

it would appear you are using the pages URL not the images!

if using Microsoft Internet explorer
right click the picture then 'properites' then copy the part that says 'Address (URL)'

if using Google chrome
right click the picture then copy 'image url/address'

the rest I can't remember off of the top of my head!

Testing pic posting

Does not work with Flicka as far as I can tell

It probably won't work because you pushed it more than once....after all, it says "push once" :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

ha ha ha :-) Good one.

Got both PUSH ONCE buttons on the bottom deck working!!! Music to my ears, ding.

Strange thing, when I removed the on at the top of the stairs, there were no wires there for the bell. Took the little panel off to have a better look, and all I find is one connector for the lights on the top deck, (which is another question.

As to Flicka, I find it encouraging and will try to work out what went wrong before.

Very grateful for this helpful forum, Thanks to all.

About the picture, looks like you downloaded from Flicka and uploaded to your site from which you linked? Is that correct?

I was trying to link from Flicka, but it failed to appear.

Robert Williams
About the picture, looks like you downloaded from Flicka and uploaded to your site from which you linked? Is that correct?

no its from your flicker - i don't have a account, I use photobucket,

I’m pretty sure you are using the web address for the page for which the picture is displayed on, not that actual web address for the image on the internet (where it is saved)

(this is where the right click on the picture part I mentioned before comes in to get the pictures address)

the page I took the picture from is by selecting ‘view other sizes’ (or similar) when visiting the link you provided. Selected the size best for the forum (I think it was 600) then right clicking the picture to get the pictures address! Unfortunately what you do once you right click depends on what web browser you are using, at the moment I’m using a out dated version of Microsoft internet explorer on a work computer, but at home and on the iPad I use Google Chrome

if you let me know what browser you are using, if you have not worked it out by the time I get home I’ll make you a quick illustrated ‘how to’ guide

Lets try, insdie our 50's Diner on the ground floor of RCL2559

it worked!!!

Many thanks

Where are you located?

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

The bell won't work from the push button upstairs a it should be wired to a buzzer in the cab. This lets the driver know the conductor is upstairs.

Very Interesting,

There are no wires behind the Push Once switch. Do you have any idea where the buzzer is in the cab, so I can work back to see where the wires are or what they need to be connected to?

The buzzer is in the same place as the bell.

RMC and RCL buzzer/bell protocol is different from RM/L. David Colin will probably have the LT electrician's wiring diagram and instructions, but if I recall what I read in Dave Kreisler's instructions then the bell only works from the platform and all other push-switches sound the buzzer. The idea being that if the driver hears a buzzer then it will be his job to operate the rear doors, if he hears a bell then the conductor is in place on the platform to operate them. The two push switches in front of and behind the platform bulkhead should operate different circuits.

In my case on the RCL there are 3 Push Once Buttons. One centre coach in the ceiling, one near the door on the inside, and one at the top of the stairs. They had all been disconnected. With kind help from this forum, I fixed one which was broken. There were wires behind the two on the ground floor. Reconnecting these wires resulted in the bell ringing when pushed. The top button had no wires behind it. Hope that explains.

roy
The buzzer is in the same place as the bell.

RMC and RCL buzzer/bell protocol is different from RM/L. David Colin will probably have the LT electrician's wiring diagram and instructions, but if I recall what I read in Dave Kreisler's instructions then the bell only works from the platform and all other push-switches sound the buzzer. The idea being that if the driver hears a buzzer then it will be his job to operate the rear doors, if he hears a bell then the conductor is in place on the platform to operate them. The two push switches in front of and behind the platform bulkhead should operate different circuits.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Roy but unfortunately I do not have an RCL drawing as far as I am aware. I also didn't know the bell/buzzer protocol was different, the only RCL's I have worked on being those converted for non psv use and they either had no bell or buzzer or had no faults that needed attending to. The same goes for RMA's and RMC's as we had limited work on them in my garages except the occasional door fault. Did the RMC's have a similar bell push to that shown for the RCL?

I am also struggling to remember (for all Routemasters) if the wiring follows the lights to the front and down to the bell box or drops to under the stairs and along the lower saloon lighting route. The lower saloon certainly follows the lighting route.

So pretty unhelpful I am afraid, must be my age! I will take a look at the RML wiring diagram later as that will at least indicate the route it takes.

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Lighting route??? Where is that please.

RMC wiring shows wires B and B3 follow all the feeds from the o/s saloon lights to under the back seat; B is brown 16/012 and goes via the lower saloon buzzer push then to the bell & buzzer panel in the cab; B3 is blue 16/012 and is shown going via the lower saloon buzzer push to the n/s cab header panel. As roy says, there was a different protocol for RMCs and RCLs for the driver to operate the doors.

It's quite a while since I worked on an RMC. There's something like 16 wires from the underseat panel to fluo tubes on each side, 4 wires per tube. So 64 wires to run the fluo tubes....maybe more on an RCL if the small bay has its own tubes!

LT wiring diagram is CR301 and runs to 16 sheets!