ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting ready for RM60

Called in to see RM2213 being prepared for repaint at Avery's today.

There really is a massive amount of work involved in the preparation.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: Getting ready for RM60

Nice pics.
Nobody who has ever been through the cost and time of massive, but proper, preparation regrets it later...........
1563 looks nice at a quick glance but there`s plenty of evidence that the repaint prep wasn`t as good as it should have been.
Finding a firm that prospers by reputation is definitely worthwhile.

Masked....

....and primed.

Hi Chris , good to see RM2213 getting all done up nice for RM60 , I remember driving this bus on a route 2b (Golders Green - Crystal Palace). I look forward to seeing it in July!

My bus number (if any): none yet

Given up waiting for a sunny day to photograph RM471 & RM2213 with their new paint and lettering so here they are in the gloom. We spent quite a while with the sign writer copying original LT transfers. In real life we think the red & cream paint is spot on, you can't really tell here as the colour is a little distorted in these images.

If the lettering is wrong I'd like to know. It is easily changed!

The paint finish looks rather good and looks as though it might be quite durable, is it a two pack or acrylic water based?

As you asked about detail, maybe I can make a couple of observations. Not intended as as any more than that.

The number plate font is incorrect on RM 471 but appear correct on the 2213.

The 6 and the S indicate the difference- both have a different shape to the ones used by LT. The whole number plate font differs slightly to the one used by LT and the GPO.

RM 2213 did not carry a cream band from new nor did the RML batch that followed on . They carried the first version of Flake Grey. I think the Routemaster legend was also deleted by that time.

I would need to check but I think 2213 was of a later batch delivered with a continuous grey band running over the heater grille.

The front grilles are of the late type designed to go with the later front wing panels which had the cooling grille indents removed. These had a lower profile which form a continuous line with the number plate below.
This began with the C reg RMLs and may have commenced with the very last RMs. Someone will know the precise details.
As these all got mixed about over the years, so it matters not, unless you want to go for an as delivered look.

Apart from the metric weight the rest looks excellent including the black emergency exit.

Thanks Jack. It is 2 pack paint, heated to 40C in the spray booth to harden it. The number plate lettering point is well made. I'll change this if someone can point me in the direction of the correct font. I know it isn't Johnston. I wanted them both to have cream bands and the ROUTEMASTER lettering so they looked the same!

Fog lights would complete the picture Chris. Ray Trigg had some last time I got one. The stock number on 2213 looks wrong looks like 2d effect, but could be the angle of the shot, the M looks a bit wide, compared with original RM transfer as fixed to RM 254.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southdown/9322636876/in/set-72157634639338968/

...and as Jack has said if you are going for a cream band it should be across the heater grille moulding on 2213. Other transfers look spot on and very nice

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Chris,

Buses look great, you must be very pleased. I’ll make a couple of observations as well, strictly in the same vein as Jack. Just a help with details which I hope will assist. As a fan of Routemasters I am in awe of you and other owners keeping these great machines going and dedicating your time, effort and money, (not necessarily in that order!) to running and preserving them, you have my complete admiration.

Obviously these buses span the generations and it can be tricky to establish the period ‘look’ that one is hoping to achieve. I was a conductor and driver from 1973 to 1980 and so that is the time I am most familiar with. Really the kind of the ‘end’ of London Transport as the wheels came off the whole thing through the Eighties. Things started to appear and get done to the buses that weren’t quite right to me and stand out as a sort of ‘later’ thing as opposed to an ’early’ look, but there you are.

One of the details was the black paint at the top and bottom of the front number blind. Matt black paint was painted on the inside of the glass to hide the joint in the blind, so the light didn’t shine through. With the later overhauls and rebuild work that was a little thing that slipped through the crack. The other thing was painting around the bell push on the platform, slowly they started to get painted red when really they were always unpainted metal. If they are going for the cream band and gold letters look they’re a couple of things I’d offer for your consideration. Hope this is of help, once again, you have done a great job. Well spotted with the black emergency exit sign! Tried to put a couple of pics up but it was too hard!

As always, regards to all,

Danny Robins

I agree the M looks too wide but that is how it was on our 1960s transfer. I've got the fog lights but need brackets!

Chris Dobbing
I agree the M looks too wide but that is how it was on our 1960s transfer. I've got the fog lights but need brackets!

I have 1960s RM transfers Chris and they look like the ones on 254. Talk to Rob Duker about foglight brackets I believe he had some made, you need the short ones.

Good spot.

The number glass was actually screen printed black on the back as a mask. Later it was a black mask stuck on and after that just painted. It needs to be done carefully as if painted it can lift and flake.

The bell surround is another good spot. The outer surround is not red. But was on the upper deck one inside!

The fog light bracket is quite complex but RoB Duker did have some a while back. Finishes it off nicely then.

Jack Norie
Good spot.

The number glass was actually screen printed black on the back as a mask. Later it was a black mask stuck on and after that just painted. It needs to be done carefully as if painted it can lift and flake.

The bell surround is another good spot. The outer surround is not red. But was on the upper deck one inside!

The fog light bracket is quite complex but RoB Duker did have some a while back. Finishes it off nicely then.
On the RTs the blind blanking was by actual plates, the ones on the route number were easy to fix, but the destination ones needed you lie down on your stomach and screw them on through the separate small route door with a pump screw driver locked at full extension. The black paint on the RMs was a much better idea!

looking good Chris

My bus number (if any): LT150 AND RM 1562

Chris ,
both look superb , leave them as they are !