ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burgundy conductors area RCL

Would like to match the paint colour for the burgundy paint in the conductors area. Had a paint shop scan and match a piece I was able to remove, and it is close, but not perfect. Very happy with the sung yellow and feel its worth getting it right. Any clue to help find the exact burgundy shade would be really helpful. Great forum!

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Re: Burgundy conductors area RCL

Hi Robert

There are two different burgundy paints.
Metal areas need `Burgundy Brushing Gloss` and the rexine covering needs `Burgundy Leathercloth`. It won`t look right if you use the wrong type.
If you take a sample to a supplier, do make them aware of the difference between the two.
It`s also worth asking your supplier if they just happen to have the old LT colours and codes. Chances are they won`t have but there was a time when a directory of these and all commercially used shades existed and from it the composition formula for each colour could then found and the paint made. Such records appear to be consigned to history.

Try Avenue Coatings in west London 01753686888 they used to have the LT range.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Oddly enough I ordered some of this yesterday.

HMG Paints Limited.

F2613 Burgundy Gloss.

This paint code was sourced from the LT museum.

This is it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rml2344/7258695368/

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Burgundy conductors area RCL

Don't forget that quite a lot of the rear platform area on the RCL was covered in Rexine and not painted.

If you look very carefully you may find on panel joints or behind panel strapping, the remains of where the fabric was cut away on later overhauls.

The burgundy leathercloth finish is just a paint to coat over rexine that has a similar sheen and is not supposed to flake and craze.

It won't of course give a leather effect which one restorer thought it was going to do!

It matches well with the normal gloss finish burgundy that is used on the seat frames and painted areas of trim.

HMG paints say there are several types of burgundy paint.

SAH300, D66, C71, Coach enamel ????

Anyone know which one for the bus?

Many thanks

I use HMG SAH300 BS 452 MAROON S/GLOSS (that is what it says on my tin).

I'm happy with the result in the conductor's area on my RMs. RCL may be different of course.

Cheers

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Made the order, many thanks all.

Never heard of any of those numbers.

I have just quoted F2613 Burgundy Gloss. Its a brushable coach enamel. I would give them another ring and try again. The colour isn't maroon.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Avenue Coatings did not have the paint. HMG found it and I ordered a liter to try it. It arrived yesterday. Will do a test and report back for any who might be interested. Thanks.