ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM brake springs

Pull off or hold off springs.
I've been asked for these. Quite how the old ones were broken I don't know, but anyone any idea of a source. According to the parts list the fronts are one piece "pull off springs" AEC Z 45299; The rears appear to be in two parts? (and called hold off springs) and they are AEC FA 0301 and F15502.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RM brake springs

All the rear springs I've seen have been one-piece, probably the same part ass RT springs. I may have some in my drawer.

They break because they rust through, having got very thin over the years.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Some of these appeared on ebay recently. Every now and then they appear as they are from a group which is disbanding.

It wouldn't hurt to save a search encase they crop up again.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Thanks Roy, if you do find some I would be interested.
I think I know who you mean Tom, but these are the C springs that go round the carrier, I think the Ebay stuff was for return springs for pedals etc, but I'll ask the man involved if he has any.

These C springs are not unique to Routemasters. Some other AEC models had them too - Swift/Merlin was one. Nor were they an AEC specific part, the Leyland Bear and Retreiver lorries also used them on the front axle.

Ah, the C springs. I got some from Morgan Elliot about 12 years ago which were DAF parts which they said were for RMs but they weren't!

Brian Watkinson
Thanks Roy, if you do find some I would be interested.
I think I know who you mean Tom, but these are the C springs that go round the carrier, I think the Ebay stuff was for return springs for pedals etc, but I'll ask the man involved if he has any.

I think we are thinking of the same chap. The return spring on my N/S/F brake was very similar in appearance to the spring advertised as a throttle return spring.

I could of course have the wrong type of spring fitted but it has been there for a while now! The O/S spring is different in appearance.

No harm is asking.....

Re: RM brake C springs

Still after these now urgently required for rears if anyone knows of a source or has "stock". Thanks

Just checked with local a DAF dealer who still holds records for AEC part numbers. This went obsolete 8 September 1992. I think you are going to struggle with this.

Thanks Roy, I wonder what sort of stock was held in the garages outside of Chiswick, couldn't have been a big demand for them.

To be honest Brian I can't remember changing one.have you tried imperial?

My bus number (if any): 1083

I've only ever replaced 1 rear spring.

Imperial don't have any. There's a company in Birmingham that could make them, they recently made some coil springs for the GWR Railcar at Tenterden.

But then we're looking at a batch of 20 maybe for small springs and back to the "king pin" problem.

These aren't springs as such, they are pieces of spring steel in the shape of a C. The fronts are one piece, the rears according to the Parts List has changeable ends, although I'm not sure that is right.

See here https://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/13399602783/

Can you post a photograph them rather than the link which does not often work ( which I've not been able to open in this thread,) or does someone have a photograph of said parts?

It might be that someone will have or recognise them and they turn out to be referred to with a different name.

Can it not be repaired, or is part of it lost? While welding is frowned upon, why not take it to a Blacksmith? Garden forks and other tools were made of spring steel by blacksmiths since Noah's time. Actually since the Bessemer process in the middle of the 1800s brought about the production of steel.

Roy, I don't even know how it was broken in the first place. It is on an RML owned by a churcgh near St Tropez and maintained by the local bus company. As you know getting RM shoes off is not easy and care is needed plus wire and a bolt, so I can only think it was snapped. I will enquire and see if they have the pieces!

Mark. For some reason I can't post flickr based pictures on here, just don't work for me, I'd E mail it to you but you don't list an E mail address, I'll try Chris.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34955393@N04/13399602783/

Brian,

Apologies if this is off topic but glancing at your flicker photos, i noticed your cricket picture.

The chap across the page from you was someone i knew very well from my Poplar garage days, the LT inspector Erskine Trottman. I worked very closely with Erskine when he was on duty in the garage. He was a proper gentleman, and a very good colleague to work with. I wonder what happened to him after the garage closed in 1985?

Can i just mention on the subject of the brake 'C' springs, i only ever knew one bus that had one of those changed in all the years i worked at PR. We did keep one in our small stores, but all it did was gather dust.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, your photos are appreciated.

John
Erskine was a great bloke, he was also my captain for CRS for quite a few years supreme optimist and a good captain, Never stopped encouraging you. I believe he went to West Ham as an Inspector. A follower of the CRS cricket team I met at a retirement seminar in 2003 told me he thought Erskine had retired and returned to Barbados.

The rear brake return spring is a C shaped spring with a U shape half way round that fits over the retaining pin. The L shaped ends, from memory, are riveted on and I suppose "could" be changed.

To get the springs off, I usually lever the top shoe up with a long bar then wedge a socket between the spring and the hub and pull the retaining pin out. For safety, I insert the socket with a large cable tie fastened on it, it keeps my fingers out of the way. No doubt there's a special tool to lift the end of the spring up, but not all linings have the hole for this to go through.

This is the image Brian wants to post

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

My apologies, I'm thinking of a different spring altogether.