ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to post a traffic notice

Here are the official posting positions of `traffic` notices for Routemaster types as contained in a folder dated Feb 1969 that also shows similar for RT`s, and for variants of both the RF and MB class. Surprisingly, it doesn`t list XA / XF types.

Traffic notices were anything to do with route changes, diversions, frequency increase or decrease, shortening or extension (including Summer services) and, increasingly in the late 1960`s, conversion from crew to OMO (as it used to be called).

Re: Where to post a traffic notice

I have the same type of document dated March 1981.

I would be very interested this earlier document. Are you able to post any more pages?

I can scan the 1981 pages if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

I can scan and post the other pages but I`m not sure that they would all be of interest to those who visit here. Maybe I`ll do the RT page and see if the other pages have a potential audience - there are several for RF`s and MB`s.

Neil G
I can scan and post the other pages but I`m not sure that they would all be of interest to those who visit here. Maybe I`ll do the RT page and see if the other pages have a potential audience - there are several for RF`s and MB`s.

I understand.

If you do not wish to post here would it be possible to email me privately?

I have an RML which I will be putting period interior adverts in once I have drawn up enough artwork. It would be great to know which is the correct locations for each one.

Many thanks,
Regards,

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Hi Tom

I`ll happily post the other pages for RF`s and MB`s here if others want to see them and it helps their quest for authenticity. I can send you a set too. But are we talking about the same thing? All I have, in respect of Routemasters, is the drawing as initially posted which just shows the official positions of `traffic` posters which were defined as I explained and were quite different from `in house` publicity and commercial adverts - neither of which are shown within the document I have. These could both be mixed within the bus interior either on the coving of both decks between the light bulbs or in the illuminated box. The latter was a `premium rate` site on account of it being lit and prominent where all lower deck passengers could easily see it. The reality appeared to be that by the 1970`s few commercial advertisers wanted to pay the extra and thus the illuminated box invariably had an `in house` poster in it. Often it had nothing at all. The other advert site was the inner front roof dome which many years ago was used for occasional commercial adverts but latterly for `in house` posters and, again, often not used at all.

As you already know from the ROOM site, I`m having a couple of interior `in house `posters recreated. I have a few more that could also be done. Do you have any that you are having re-made? Maybe it`s possible that through this forum we could establish who has what as regards period interior posters and could set about having enough different ones reprinted so that a bus set would be a viable option.

But that then creates the problem of exactly which period in time is represented. Some of the `in house` posters had a life of a couple of years or more, many had less. There were many different `in house` posters through the 1960`s, 1970`s and 1980`s and many are almost considered iconic now. But they were not all around concurrently. A decade or more could easily separate some of the best known posters ever produced so there will always be those who criticize an external livery or interior appearance suited to a certain time period when the adverts are appropriate to many years before or after. The two adverts I`m presently trying to recreate are a good example as although they would both look good (and almost iconic) in a bus interior, I reckon that a gap of about five years happened between the `rushes` poster going out of use and the `travel enquiries` one coming into use.