ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemasters in London - Congestion Charge and London Emission Zone

There will be many Routemasters from outside London attending RM60 and some owners may have concerns about the Congestion Charge and London Emission Zone. I've summarised the situation for Routemasters in London.

Congestion Charge

You have to pay an £10 daily Congestion Charge if you drive between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday in the Congestion Charge Zone. The zone includes the City and West End and extends South of the river. You an easily get to Finsbury Park for RM60 without entering the Congestion Charge Zone and, anyway it doesn't apply at weekends. It is well signposted and there is a map on the TFL website. If your Routemaster still has 9 or more seats you are entitled to a 100% discount. If the taxation class on your DVLA registration certificate (V5R) is BUS you are automatically registered for the discount and can stop worrying.

Many RM owners will have their bus registered as HISTORIC (which saves £500 a year but means you cannot use it for Hire or Reward). If so, or if your RM is registered as a BUS in Northern Ireland or the European Economic Area you will need to register for the discount. You can download an application form from the TFL website which you will have to send off with a copy of your V5R, proof that the bus has 9 or more seats and an annual fee of £10.00.

London Emission Zone

This zone is very much larger than the Congestion Charge Zone and operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year. It applies to large diesel vehicles registered before 1st October 2006. The daily charge for buses is £200. All roads within Greater London, those at Heathrow and parts of the M1 and M4 are included. There is a map on the TFL website and it is well signposted. Fortunately historic vehicles built before 1 January 1973 are exempt and this will include all Routemasters. You will be automatically exempt if the vehicle is registered in Great Britain but if it is registered outside Great Britain (including Northern Ireland) you can also be exempt but you will need to register, free of charge, with TfL at least 10 days in advance. There is guidance and a form on the TFL website and buses from outside Great Britain visiting Routemaster60 at Finsbury Park will need to do this.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: Routemasters in London - Congestion Charge and London Emission Zone

Hi Chris ,
very useful information . So in a nutshell , My 1966 RML on historic road tax can be driven to Finsbury park on the sat/sun and is exempt for congestion charge and LEZ charge if I've read it correctly .
There is no need to do any paperwork of any description ?

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: Routemasters in London - Congestion Charge and London Emission Zone

Yes, providing your bus is registered in the UK.

My bus number (if any): RML2532