ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electrical Parts for Routemasters

Can anyone add to this list electrical parts that may be in short supply, or better still where to buy from or an alternative part. When I say repairable below I am looking at them as electrically failed, not mechanically.

Standard Arrow Switch for virtually all equipment and no longer available without massive expense and of course the Starter Switch (also Arrow).A few on ebay but we have 8 or 9 per bus so either an alternative is needed or a bulk order if we could find someone to replicate them.

Arens cable switch. This is presumably unavailable.

Heater Microswitch (I can source these from Craig and Derricott, as have others.

Tangent Switch (for brake lights and bell cord). Surely repairable but do they fail significantly? There are safety cord switches used in machinery that effectively work the same way (actually in reverse but it may be possible to adapt one)

Bell pushes buttons. Are these not fairly standard for some old cars and buses
Horn relay. probably available but an easy compromise with a Bosch style cube relay.
Interrupter (flasher) units, I had some but they have been sold but they should be available even if it is modern equivalent.

The air and brake microswitches can be electrically repaired as suggested by Chris and again I could probably source the original make of microswitch if preferred.

I suppose the SSG and speedo generators may be difficult to source but presumably repairable given they are effectively alternators. For refurbished buses the magnetic sensor is available. I will try to find the details.

gearbox panels. Now that may be more difficult. I will check with alliance electronics. They may be able to repair a number of items

What about EP valves. Again from an electrical point of view easily rewound and I have purchased a DMS unit from them in the past.

For non refurbished buses I have the Plessey plug connection units (christmas trees) in stock ready for refurbishing if needed

Apart from that i can only think of the usual external lighting (all types) and the saloon lights which some have managed to replicate various parts.

Do you have any requirements or information that could help?

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

Re: Electrical Parts for Routemasters

The gear panels are still available from PSV Electrical in Hoddesdon, or they can test and repair your old unit.

There's still a few RMs around with the original 3-phase alternators and toast rack rectifiers. I done one in Cologne 2 Christmases ago, the rectifier went short circuit. I replaced the alternator with a later type with diodes and replace the regulator with one the size of a cigarette packet. I've got the wiring details here if anyone needs it.

Starter motors for AEC and Leyland are the same as Gardner but there's a difference in the number of teeth on the spigot. even these are getting short in supply but most starter rebuild firms can do them.

Original type Lucas headlamps, sometimes crop up on eBay, usually minus the ceramic bulb holder adaptor.

EP valves are the same as Bristol VR and DMS, but don't try to change the entire block as the mounting bolts are in different places. I found this out the hard way!

My bus number (if any): RML2532