ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PSV Licence

I have been sorting out my tax disc holders, and came across this one.
Would this have been used on RM's?

Did every bus carry one? what position in the holder was the tax disc?

Thanks

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM7

Re: PSV Licence

Hi rob

I have often wondered about the disk holder. Even more so for my Metrobus which has three parts. What were they for? I cannot remember what was displayed during my LT days

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

The road tax and PSV licence were visible from the outside, the disc with the small print was visible inside the bus. I still have some of these from MLL720 in the front of MLL721.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Rob Duker
I have been sorting out my tax disc holders, and came across this one.
Would this have been used on RM's?

Did every bus carry one? what position in the holder was the tax disc?

Thanks

Rob

Yes, these were standard fittings on RT family and RMs. Depends which way up it is, but the tax disc should be in the top window facing out, don't remember PSV licenses being carried, although trolleybuses and trams had them as plates on the platform, Wasn't an insurance certificate was carried below the tax disc and the RTA registration was on the reverse. Only have ones with RTA disc and tax discs, so not sure now what went in 2nd window at front.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

On RLH62 all the holders were empty apart from the Sun Insurance certificate which was, as Brian says, located at the rear of the assembly. I have posted a photo of it to demonstrate the certificate and position, which is untouched since 1968.

Location is in the bottom rear of the cab emergency window not on the upright pillar like a lot of RT types have it located.

I have a couple of RF holders about too. I'll dig one out and see the location of the PSV N license and tax disc.

My bus number (if any): RLH62

With only 3 windows, they couldn't have carried a PSV, tax disc, insurance certificate and the RTA notice.
Buses and trolleybuses used to carry a PSV License plate screwed to the rear bulkhead, (bit like a taxi plate), trolleys had them up to the end of service with LT, but it was discontinued long while back on buses although RT 1 had one for a while. Perhaps they were replaced by the paper certificates?
All the holders I have and those still on our buses have tax and RTA notice, but the Insurance and PSV certificates would have course have been removed. Looking into it further, the RTA notice certified that the vehicle was owned by LT who had a carrier's licence, so did this replace the individual PSV license?

Latterly buses and certainly RMs under privatisation carried the tax disc and operator's license.

The Public Carriage Office issued the PSV licenses, they'll be able to tell you which bus/buses this was used on and if it needed to be carried. Hugh Taylor might also be able to help as he has published details of PSV license plates for trolleybuses.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

The current requirement is for the vehicle to display a valid VED disc and PSV Operator disc. The VED disc is being abolished in October this year.

There were moves to abolish the PSV disc too but this is being resisted by "the industry" as this would open the way for even more unlicenced PSVs to be used for hire and reward.

My bus number (if any): RML2532