ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting photos

Looking through Brian Watkinsons photos the other day.
I noticed yet another of my old 'Poplar' work colleagues, who was jumping out of a bus cab in Aldgate bus station.

William- Charles(Bill) Taylor was a man i knew very well from my time at the garage. Bill was certainly one of many characters of the inside staff men. He was certainly keen on the odd pint or two at the Aberfeldy public house, in Aberfeldy Street. Bill T and his other shift colleague Bill Crocker, would drink the place dry.

Bill Taylor was knowledgeable about the buses in Poplar, but they held no sentiment for him. They were just motors to be worked on and money to be earned. No different to any other members of the staff at that time i suppose.

I certainly miss my time at poplar, i worked as hard as i could, and tried to learn as much as the old boys were allowed to show me.

When i started there in November 1971 Bill and his colleagues were in their 60s and not long to retire. I should think they are long gone now.

I do miss all of those blokes, they were a good bunch.

Happy days, and many thanks to Brian for his interesting photos. They certainly take me back.

Re: Interesting photos

Glad you are enjoying them John. If your are on Facebook, look at the London and UK Buses and Trams group, lots of LT RT and RM stuff on there.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458 RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: Interesting photos

Brian,

Will do and many thanks.