ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Uesd ticket box colour - the inside.

Second strange question of the night.

I have removed the rearmost fiberglass used ticket box off of my RML for repairs. While stripping the paint off it appears that the inside of the ticket box was painted white.

It seem like the last layer of paint but could this be something else? More curious then anything. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light.

Cheers

Tom.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

Re: Uesd ticket box colour - the inside.

The original finish was a matt white fire suppressant coating. Used on both the inner sides of both ticket boxes.

I understand this product had an asbestos content.

Used because of the tendency for passengers to drop cigarette ends in them. Smoking then being permitted on public transport and was far more common at the time.

Obviously, as it became known about the dangers of asbestos, this was coated over with a later fire resistant coating also white.

Be careful when scraping this stuff off as it may still be asbestos. Whilst it's very well documented about similar use and removal on the Underground. I've not seen anything about the same issues for the road services.

Re: Uesd ticket box colour - the inside.

That is an interesting reply.

Some of it I had removed as I needed to do some other fiberglass repairs. Luckily I used paint stripper instead of sanding so what paint did come off came off in wet paste form.

I will dig out a suitable paint. I like little details like this when restoring things!

Many thanks.

My bus number (if any): RML2344