ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Authenticity

Would anyone like to give their opinion on how authentic a reproduced interior poster should be? I`m having some made from originals and want the best possible outcome in terms of colour and graphics accuracy. The results, so far, are looking really good but we haven`t got to the finished thing yet as the next stage involves trying to decide on the paper quality. Pasting in the LT style, before vinyls or frames, isn`t something that is commonplace nowadays - and neither is the grade of paper that has a shine on the image side and a roughness on the pasting side. Original pasted posters had a life of weeks or months and were prone to fading so anyone now wanting to achieve a retro look in their RM would, presumably, be hoping that their reproduced posters lasted a long time. Is it better to go with a more durable grade of paper that allows an accurate colour finish but requires double sided tape rather than paste to display the poster? This could give the advantage of easily changing / rotating posters periodically and of removing them during the winter if damp (that might ruin pasted posters) is an issue.

Re: Authenticity

I think, that I would prefer something that's going to last.
so I would go for the option that requires double sided tape, or even paper with adhesive already on it.
Or dare I say matt finished vinyl's if such thing is available.
I know its not original, but our ads will need to last for years, not weeks.

Regards

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM7

I would be interested in interior adverts providing they are early to mid sixty's.

I second Rob's comments. In reality 'most' people in preservation wouldn't change their adverts often if at all. With paper, they simply wouldn't last over time.

I have and are having made some external adverts which will be on vinyl. These will be coated in Matt varnish to give an appearance of paper.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

I don't think the posters fade as fast as you think, although at one time regularly changed, there are examples on recovered buses that have not faded at all in 30, 40 years. The ones on RT 377 were a little frayed but not faded and the bus had been left in the open for 10 years and the posters date back to 1971

The ones done for RTL 554 look superb, not sure if originals or copied, maybe Dave Simmons might know.
http://s116.photobucket.com/user/RTL554/library/Interior%20Adverts?sort=3&page=1

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs